We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Topic
Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

I have never been there before and we are visiting family who is much older. The boys would like to jet ski, go to a water park, roller costers, and so on. I also need to find some good places for breakfast lunch and dinner. I need some ideas for all the above. I don't want to listen to them say "I'm bored". Plus we are on a tight budget.. thought anyone, everyone?

thank you

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

First the free stuff:

1. Pinnacle Mountain State Park: Easy to climb mountain just a few minutes from the city. Great views. Front climb on a path, backside climb over boulders. Highly recommended. www.arkansasstateparks.com/pinnaclemountain

2. Big Dam Bridge: Longest pedestrian/bicycle bridge in the world. Views of Arkansas River and of barges going through lock and dam. Right in town.

www.bigdambridge.com

Reasonable stuff

1. Arkansas Travelers Baseball – fun place – new downtown ball park. Check website for special promotions.

www.travs.com

2. Little Rock River Market. Fun area to walk around. Park and pedestrian bridge behind market. Economical food mall inside market for lunch.

www.rivermarket.info

3. Whole Hog Barbeque. Best in town. Reasonable cost. Several locations.

www.wholehogcafe.com

4. Purple Cow restaurant. My teen daughter’s first suggestion. Not dirt cheap but not too expensive. www.purplecowlr.com

5. Flying Fish café across from River Market. Popular, mostly fried. Fun atmosphere. My daughter also suggested. www.flyingfishinthe.net

6. Buffalo Grill. Good family place – burgers etc. Two locations. Couldn’t find web site.

www.littlerockrestaurant.net/BuffaloGrillWest

7. US Pizza – recommend Hillcrest location.

Pricey stuff

1. Magic Springs. 45 minutes away from Little Rock near Hot Springs. Roller coasters, rides, and water park, etc. Check website for promotions. Check Wendys, Sonic or Walgreens to see if they are selling reduced tix. Don’t buy tix at gate. www.magicsprings.com

2. Wild River Country. Water Park in North Little Rock. Fairly large and well run. Great for a day’s play. Check website for promotions. I think price is reduced after 4:00. www.wildrivercountry.com

3. Jet Ski, tubing etc. You pretty much have to go to Hot Springs for this. Try a week day to avoid crowds. Reserve in advance. Pretty costly in my view but good equipment, fun lake. My kids love it. A few rental places on lake. Have used Kahuna Bay which has great equipment.

www.kahunabay.com

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

I just read this to the kids and they are now excited about this trip. Magic Springs is just the thing. The baseball place sounds great also, one is really into that. I'm not one for my boys up high on bridges, for some reason I lose all sense of logic when I see them up high but the kids love to see me get bothered. They are looking forward to driving me crazy... (Thanks for that one, think). I noticed you didn't talk about the diamond mines any reason for that? Couple other questions for you. I read about ATV riding at Mt Magazine, how are away is that? Do you know anything about it? Or about any of the following, Wegner Crystal Mine @ Mt Ida. or KA DO HA Indian Village, Also how far away if Beaver lake, I heard about swimming there next to some cliff area? Thanks for your help every much

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

sorry for the typos

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

One other question. Can you buy beer at the waterparks or Magicsprings? I didn't see that mentioned on there sites?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

I can't help with most of your questions except possibly the diamond mine one. I don't know when your trip is planned for but we went in July a couple of years ago with 2 ten year olds. It was so blazing HOT! And I have lived all over the state of Texas and am used to the heat. But being out in the middle of a bunch of plowed up dirt sifting through it looking for diamonds was just not all that fun for anyone. I wouldn't say it was a total waste, I would do it again if we were driving right by it heat or no heat, but I would not drive out of the way to do it again. It's probably a lot more fun when it's cooler, especially if you do find a diamond!!

Oh, and I've only been to Magic Springs one time, but I don't recall beer for sale. Hopefully someone who goes regularly will see this post and answer.

Edited: 20 June 2010, 23:31
Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

The diamond mine is not in Little Rock. It's down around Murfreesboro. Here's the link to the park: http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/. I've lived in AR almost my entire life and I've never been there, so I'm not exactly sure how close/far it is to LR. I think it's closer to Texarkana.

Be wared that AR summers are very hot and humid! If you plan to be outside, you are better off to do so during the morning hours and after 6:30 or 7:00 at night. Today, we are expecting highs around 100 degrees. blah...Or, just expect to be very hot and drink lots of water. All of the ideas you've been given so far are great. I hope y'all enjoy your trip!

Indianapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

I want to thank everyone for your great advice.. We got back at 4am this morning and I am so glad to be back home in Indiana. This non humid air is so nice.. We all about died there. That being said.

The boys did climb Pinnacle Mountain Tuesday, and I stayed at the bottom looking at the cypress trees which were so cool. I also fell in love with your crape myrtle trees down there.. I have to have one. Some how some way I will get one of those. We drove out to Lake Sylvia (spelling) to cool off but failed because the lake was very warm.. So we were all still hot just a little less hot. So we headed to the Purple Cow after that.. Great Shakes.

The next day (Wednesday) we hit the water park in Little Rock and then on to then onto the Bid Dam Bridge.

Thursday we were off to Magic Springs....WE LOVED MAGIC SPRINGS, THE WATER WAS ALMOST COLD! We had a great time at both parks but we really loved Magic Springs. No lines (we went on Thursday) and dollar for dollar I thought a better deal.. I did however hit my head for some stupid reason cracked it open. Totally my fault walked into a wall in the bath room?? I was done with the rides after that and sat in the lazy river.. My kids loved the Boogie Boards I found a piece of shade and watched with a bag of ice on my head.. All the Rides we could just stay on and ride again.

We hit some lakes and so on while out there but even the lakes were hot. We have family with a cottage on Lake Nimrod but the water was so low we couldn't do much there, Our phones didn't work out there and so we were forced to unplug.. I LOVED IT. We spent a lot of family time playing cards and drinking and cooking in the AC..

I wanted to go to BBQ yesterday but there wasn't a BBQ place open on Sunday's ?? not sure about that one.

We didn't get to everything but we still had a great time and I swear I lost weight for the first time on a vacation.

Thanks everyone.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

So glad you had a good trip and survived our humidity! It's horrible, isn't it? That is great about Magic Springs--the parts about no lines, cool water, etc. So sorry to hear about your head, though! It sounds like you really got your money's worth at Magic Springs by going during the week. I guess BBQ is hard to come by on Sundays! I am wondering if Whole Hog Cafe--the one in West Little Rock, not the original on Cantrell--is open on Sundays? I want to say I've eaten there on a Sunday before but I may have that wrong. The food is fantastic, so if you're ever back in town, give them a try. Enjoy your humidity free weather!:)

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

Thanks for the trip report. Great to hear Magic Springs get good reviews. Did you find any good admission discounts? Sorry about the heat. Arkansas has four distinct seasons, hot summers, fairly cold winters and comfortable and beautiful falls and springs.

10. Re: Single Mom with 3 teenage boys heading to Little Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Little Rock