We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

Hello everyone,

Can I ask your thoughts regarding a roadtrip from Memphis to Dallas?

I plan to fly into Memphis, stay 2 nights and rent a car to get to Dallas. I also plan to do this through Arkansas (is Little Rock the best option to spend the night?). Any other thoughts?

Are there any sites or places that you recommend to see?

Should I be concerned with violence when driving around such areas?

Many thanks in advance,

Alan

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

Plan 3 hours Memphis to Little Rock for a normal 2 hour trip due to road construction. Also plan to share the road with many trucks! Nothing new, but that stretch stays pretty congested. Little Rock has several interesting museums and a fun river market area, The Clinton Presidential Center is very impressive and is right next to the expressway and would make a great stop, if you spend the night or not. I'd suggest the nearby Hampton River Market for a sleepover, or if you want to downscale slightly, Comfort Inn and Suites downtown does a good job. An upscale alternative is the beautiful Capital Hotel. The other major historical museum is the Central High Museum which tells an important civil rights story. There are some other very good museums, all in walking or quick driving distance of the Hampton. From Little Rock it is 5+ hours to Dallas (avoid arrival there at rush hour.) Unlike the Memphis-LR stretch, the drive to Dallas is fairly pleasant, some of it through some nice timberland. Old Washington State Park, off the interstate a couple hours from LR is interesting historically and if you don't get enough of Bill in Little Rock, the Clinton childhood home is an interesting stop in Hope. (Remember that? "A place called Hope?") As to safety, yes by all means be aware at all times in Memphis, Little Rock and Dallas. They are three urban areas where, like most others, you need to be on your toes. But that should not prevent you having a gtreat time in each.

Another alternative would be a stop in Hot Springs which is an hour from Little Rock. During Jan, Feb, March they have horse races there if that is of interest! You can also take a "bath" in water directly from the hot springs in historic bath houses if that is of interest.

William J. Clinton Presidential Center

www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org

Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site - National Park ...

www.nps.gov/chsc/

Hampton Inn & Suites Little Rock-Downtown - Hampton Inn - Hilton

…hilton.com/.../…index.html

Arkansas Live Music - Arkansas Artists - Little Rock River Market

www.rivermarket.info/

Capital Hotel | Historic Luxury Hotel Accommodations in Little Rock ...

capitalhotel.com/

Little Rock Hotels, Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel in Downtown Little ...

www.comfortinnlittlerock.com/

Historic places in Arkansas - Historic Washington State Park

www.historicwashingtonstatepark.com/

Clinton Childhood Home Museum

clintonchildhoodhomemuseum.com/

Oaklawn Racing & Gaming - Since 1904 - Hot Springs, Arkansas

www.oaklawn.com/

Arkansas Capital City - Arkansas Vacation Spots - Little Rock

www.littlerock.com/

Hot Springs, Arkansas

www.hotsprings.org/

Quapaw Baths & Spa - Hot Springs, Arkansas

quapawbaths.com/

Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

Little Rock is a great place to do a layover, with lots to see.

Another location that would only take you about an hour off your path would be Hot Springs.

As to violence, Memphis, Little Rock and Dallas are all cities. Like any city in the world, they have their good and bad areas. Just using some simple common sense will keep you out of danger. The fact you are hear asking show you have that.

While in Little Rock a lot of folks do visit the Presidential Center, however don't forget our state capital building. Many don't know it has often been used as the National capital's double in movies. It's free to visit, and much worth the time.

…arkansas.gov/stateCapitolInfo/Pages/stateCa…

We also have very old Carousel if you are into unique things.

http://www.littlerockzoo.com/carousel

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

www.arkansashighways.com/roads/roads2.aspx

There is a recommended detour (see link)

The last time I drove to MEM (2 weeks ago, departing LR at 08:00) the E bound lanes slowed to 40 MPH but we never stopped (delayed 15 +/- minutes).

The W bound traffic was stopped and backed up for 5+ miles ... I am sure the delay was 1.5 + hours.

4. Re: Road Trip (Memphis - Dallas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Little Rock
Recent Conversations