We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

We will be driving from St. Louis to Biloxi at the beginning of March. We thought that we would take a side trip to see the Clinton Library. We plan to spend March 1st and 2nd in Little Rock. I would appreciate any suggestions for a hotel in the area. We thought that we would stay in an area that is near the library, but we are not familiar with Little Rock. It doesn't have to be a fancy hotel, but I want it to be clean and in a safe area.

If you have any other suggestions on things to do or where to eat while in the area I would appreciate it.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

First, you are really smart to stop and visit the Clinton Library. It is a fascinating place. Everyone likes it despite their respective politics. Don’t miss the gift shop in a separate building down the street and check to see if there is a public lecture in the Cllinton School next to the library. World leaders regularly visit the school and free to the public lectures are offered. The café in the lower lever of the library is quite good for lunch.

Judging from your criteria, I would recommend the Hampton River Market. It is a mid range newer hotel very close to the library. You can walk the few blocks through a nice park, or if the weather is bad, there is free parking around the library. Make sure you specify that this is the “River Market” Hampton. Be sure to ask parking rate and figure that in.

hamptoninn.hilton.com/Little_Rock

320 River Market Ave

Little Rock, AR

(501) 244-0600

Though certainly nothing is wrong with the Hampton, the nicest hotel in Little Rock is the Capital Hotel. You might check their rates to see if they have a special and can compete with the Hampton.

capitalhotel.com/

Or if you want to look for a more bargain rate at a hotel which gets nice reviews, you might check the Comfort Suites downtown. Their location is not as nice as the Hampton. Kind of dicey walking from the Comfort but it is in the general area of the library. (again be sure to specify downtown location). If you stay at Comfort, ask for a room which does not face the interstate.

www.comfortinnlittlerock.com/

707 Interstate 30 Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 687-7700

Be sure and walk around the River Market area. If you are there Saturday morning after mid April, there is a great farmers’ market. The food court in the market is fun for lunch browsing.

If you like barbeque, try Whole Hog BBQ, just a 5 minute drive from the market area. Inexpensive and a local favorite.

If you like museums and history there are two interesting ones within walking distance and two a short distance away.

Walking:

Historic Arkansas Museum www.historicarkansas.org/

Old State House Museum www.oldstatehouse.com/

Arkansas Arts Center www.arkarts.com/

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

The Courtyard by Marriott downtown is also in the River Market area (on Pres. Clinton Ave.) and has weekend rates that are comparable to the Hampton Inn. Also, check parking rates I know the Hampton charges daily parking if you park in their deck (and their overflow parking is in the courtyard deck).

If you're traveling with younger children 6 to 16-ish) the Museum of Discovery is across the street from the Courtyard. It recently underwent a multi million $$$ renovation / expansion and has a new director.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 22:09
Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

The Courtyard by Marriott downtown is also in the River Market area (on Pres. Clinton Ave.) and has weekend rates that are comparable to the Hampton Inn. Also, check parking rates I know the Hampton charges daily parking if you park in their deck (and their overflow parking is in the courtyard deck).

If you're traveling with younger children 6 to 16-ish) the Museum of Discovery is across the street from the Courtyard. It recently underwent a multi million $$$ renovation / expansion and has a new director.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 22:10
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

Another interesting stop while at the library is the international headquarters of Heifer Project, an agricultural based charity. The Heifer campus is right "behind" the library (just south east) and has an elaborate visitor center and docents who explain their work and the "green" building campus. Also if it is a nice day, stroll out on the restored railroad bridge (now for bikes and pedestrians) next to the library. It doesn't "lead" much of anywhere but it is fun to go out and look at the river.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

I failed to include in my recommendations, the Centrral High School National Historic Site Museum. This is an important landmark in the civil rights history of the United States and a very interesting new museum run by the National Parks Service. It is a short drive from the Clinton Center and is highly recommended.

6. Re: Hotel suggestions in Little Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:17