We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other airports besides Little Rock?

Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Other airports besides Little Rock?

Hi. We would like to visit Lyon College, which is near Little Rock (about 2 hours drive, I believe). Are there any other airports within about a 4 to 5 hour drive of Batesville? We're trying to find an airfare we can afford, and don't mind getting a rental car and driving a bit if it means a lower over-all bill. Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

There is Memphis which is notoriously expensive for airfare. You could look at the Springfield, Mo/Branson airport, well within your driving timeline.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

If LIT is too pricey, Springfield/Branson (SGF) or Memphis are likely to be the best alternatives, though it depends a lot on where you're flying from. Memphis is expensive from some places, but has been very reasonable from Atlanta for many years (thanks to AirTran) -- we often fly into Memphis from Atlanta to visit family in Arkansas, at times for not much more than $100 r/t. There otherwise aren't many options. Just checking random cities (e.g., Dayton, OH, and Lincoln, NE) on random dates over a month out, the fares are the same to all three (LIT, SGF, MEM) in some cases, with Memphis being the cheapest by $20 in others followed by LIT and SGF. Use a search engine like ITA Software's Matrix (http://matrix.itasoftware.com) that will allow you to specify multiple possible origin/destination airports and see a calendar of fares from any date to one month later to figure out what the best option for you will be.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Missed the edit window:

There is a small commuter airline called Air Choice One (may show up as Pacific Wings in some systems) that's operating flights into Jonesboro, AR (JBR) from St. Louis, with codeshare arrangements with United for connections from other origination points. Prices seem reasonable ($294 r/t) from O'Hare to JBR, less so from Atlanta ($394 with two connections --Charlotte and St. Louis), and stupid crazy from smaller places like, say Lincoln, NE ($533, again with two connections). Best deals are from their other destination cities -- Burlington, IA, Decatur, IL, and St. Louis and Chicago. Jonesboro's about 90 minutes from Batesville, so maybe 15 minutes closer than the Little Rock airport, an hour closer than Memphis, two and a half hours closer than Springfield.

Know nothing about their reliability or stability. The planes are tiny -- 14 passenger Cessna 208 Caravans. They have pix of the interiors on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/… and there's a picture of the plane at https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/… .

Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Little Rock and Memphis will be the best for driving (more high way). However Springfield isn't out of the question. I would choose either Memphis or Little Rock, which ever one is cheaper for you

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

I assume you are checking Southwest and Airtran flights. As you probably know, Kayak and the various consolidators do not include these two airlines in their offers so you have to go directly to their websites.

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
325 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Little Rock to Batesville is no more than a two hour drive most of which is on four lane, controlled access highways. Take jimjade's advice and look at Southwest Airlines. Using any other airport would be a mistake in my opinion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

One clarification about:

>>I assume you are checking Southwest and Airtran flights. As you probably know, Kayak and the various consolidators do not include these two airlines in their offers so you have to go directly to their websites.

It's true that Southwest doesn't make their data available to other sites/vendors, and it's true that Southwest now owns AirTran and is merging it into Southwest, but for now at least AirTran's flights do show up in most online searches. The ITA Matrix tool I linked to above is essentially the engine behind most of the flight availability and pricing functionality for nearly all other sites, and it does include AirTran, at least until it's fully absorbed by Southwest.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Sorry Rackensack - you corrected me and I agree that Airtran does currently show up on vendor searches. But SW still does not. I have caught myself more than once when searching for tickets through Kayak or other online vendors, and forgotten to separately search Southwest which does not participate in these vendor searches. I just wanted to make sure the original poster remembered to check our trusty SW. I have not followed the progress of the Airtran/SW merger to see how that is affecting schedules, pricing, vendor relations and schedules in the Arkansas/Tennessee areas. In the past, many Memphians made the 2 hour trek to Little Rock to catch SW and on several occasions I have made the trek to Memphis to catch Airtran to Jax and other places. Not sure where that merger is going to leave us.

Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Thanks, Guys. We are actually coming in from the west Coast, so far American at $378 round trip looks like the best deal, into Little Rock. (SW does beat them by $20, but would put us in at almost midnight, which isn't ideal.) Everywhere else in the region (that I've found) isn't enough lower to justify the added driving time. Will check on the puddle-jumpers: we don't care if we have to sit in back with the chickens. We're not taking any baggage other than a small carry on each, and we're only going to be in the area for four or five days. It'll work out. Thanks again.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 17:21
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other airports besides Little Rock?

Though you have not asked, I will throw in some other suggestiuons which may or may not be valid. Do not forget to check out the Clinton Presidential Center while you are in Arkansas. There are other museums and attractions and outdoor beauty we can also help you find. One other thought - if you are checking out Lyon College for your child by chance, you might also take a look at Hendrix College in nearby Conway Arkansas. It has a similar vibe to Lyon, - small liberal arts college with strong academics. Both are well thought of institutions.