We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in LR

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
292 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in LR

My best friends husband is from Stugart and they are constantly telling me I need to take a trip to Little Rock. So I'd like to plan a weekend trip with my daughter in the coming weeks. Need hotel,restaurant and activity ideas/recommendations, money wise im looking at budget to moderate priced lodging.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in LR

You can usually get very reasonable weekend rates at hotels in west Little Rock around the I-430/I-630 interchange (Markham, Chenal Parkway, Shackleford, etc.), That area's pretty much run-of-the-mill suburban business/shopping stuff, but the properties are generally newish, clean, and safe. Accommodations in the more "charming" or "interesting" areas of town are usually going to be either more expensive than it sounds like you want, or in dicey areas, or run-down.

Obvious suggestions for things to do include the Clinton Presidential Library, the Historic Arkansas museum complex, hiking across the Big Dam Bridge and the connected trail system, etc. If your daughter's of an age where shopping at boutique-y shops is of interest, the Pulaski Heights area, especially along Kavanaugh Boulevard, would be worth checking out. If she's younger, the Museum of Discovery is worth looking into. The historic homes in the Quapaw Quarter are worth seeing but typically aren't as appealing to kids/teens.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in LR

Stay downtown around the River Market. Hampton River Market would be my current moderate recommendation. You can walk out of there to all sorts of fun and interesting places. I would start off by walking two blocks t to the fun Farmer’s Market itself which opens the end of April and extends to October. From there I’d walk along the beautiful riverfront to the Clinton Presidential Center. Everyone likes this despite their politics. While there, go next door and tour the Heifer International visitor’s center. It is an international charity which started by sending farm animals and instructions on how to manage them, to undeveloped nations. It has an amazing eco-sound building and interesting visitor center. Hungry? If you want to stay on foot, head to the Flying Fish Café or back to one of the many River Market vendors for good eating, like Boulevard Bread. Need exercise after lunch? Hop in the car and in ten minutes you will be on top of the longest pedestrian/bike bridge built for that purpose in the world. “The Big Dam Bridge”. Join the community in a beautiful walk over the Arkansas River. Want to shop? The previous post tells you about a fun old fashioned nearby neighborhood shopping street called the Heights and another called Hillcrest, both along Kavanaugh Blvd. More museums? Within walking distance from your hotel are several and a couple are 5 minutes by car. You can walk to Historic Arkansas Museum, Old Statehouse Museum, and Discovery Museum (if your daughter is still a child!). Or drive to the Arkansas Arts center and Central High Museum. At night, your hotel is in the middle of the liveliest music, dining and entertainment area in the State. You have a choice of many venues. Or 5 minutes away by car is the best budget place to dine Whole Hog Café. These local business men kept winning barbeque contests as a hobby and finally opened their own place. We are very glad they did!

Hampton Inn & Suites Little Rock-Downtown - Hampton Inn - Hilton

…hilton.com/.../hampton-inn-and-suites-littl…

http://www.rivermarket.info/

www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org/

http://www.heifer.org/visit/heifer-village

http://www.flyingfishinthe.net/LittleRock.php

www.boulevardbread.com/

http://www.bigdambridge.com/

southernliving.com/travel/…

www.historicarkansas.org/

www.oldstatehouse.com/

museumofdiscovery.org/

www.arkarts.com/

www.nps.gov/chsc/

Whole Hog Cafe – World Champion BBQ - Whole Hog Café 2516 Cantrell Rd Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 664-5025

www.wholehogcafe.com/

Edited: 23 March 2013, 14:34
Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in LR

Thank you so much for the replies

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in LR

I definitely agree with staying in the River Market. It's the current heart and soul of Little Rock!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in LR

Another place you might want to visit is the zoo. (check for discount tickets online)

If you have a movie buff, the old mill in north little rock. (Free)

A history buff, might enjoy going into the capital. Most people don't know it's modeled after the one in D.C. and has been used in movies as its double. (Free)

Food, you name it we have it. Great chance to try new things. Just say what you want to eat and the odds are we can tell you were to find it.

As for places to stay as mentioned there are many!!! However I would suggest either staying in the river market area (tourist area) or the west side of town (West of I-430). Like any city we have our good areas and our not so safe areas. While there are more then these two sections that are safe, it would take too long to list.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in LR

Robin pow thank you so much for your reply that is just the info I was looking for. As far as "eats" some good catfish recs would be nice.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in LR

Best catfish in town, is at Catfish City (between 12th & 19th on University) They are closed on Sunday. However if you go to the zoo on a Sat., Catfish City is less than 5 minutes away.

Winona, Mississippi
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in LR

I did not know there was so much to do in Little Rock thank you so much as I am planning a weekend get away in April and I am so looking forward to going there. What caught my intrest was walking over the bridge. Thank you so much.

9. Re: What to do in LR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Little Rock