We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in El Paso?

Which El Paso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Murphy, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in El Paso?

I have a bus group of about 25 ladies from the ages of 55 to 83, that is planning on making a stop in El Paso on their 15 day out west trip. You hear all types of rumors about the safety being so close to Mexico. There will only be about 6 males in the group and they are seniors also. Thanks for any input on this.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety in El Paso?

Starkmarty, The consensus is not to cross the border for safety reasons. It is reasonably safe during the day. My personal take is that there is nothing I'm interested in seeing in a border town any way, so why take the risk. The Border towns offer cheap liquor, medicine, underage drinking, beggars, and trinkets. Just nothing for me.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety in El Paso?

If you want to tick Mexico onto the list of countries you've visited, I would check with El Paso law enforcement when you arrive to see what the situation is in Ciudad Juarez. As Octoboy alludes, border towns don't show the best side of Mexico, so walk across the bridge with low expectations if you go.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety in El Paso?

Thanks to both replies to my question .I`ve been to Mexico before but it`s been a while. However, we have decided to visit another part of the USA, the Shenandoah valley. The TA reports for Mexico are not too flash.

Anyway, now we have made a decision, I`m really looking forward to a part of the States we have yet to see.

If it`s anything like our last trip to the Smokey Mountains, then bring it on! What a great place..

Thanks again, Starkmarty

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety in El Paso?

I will be driving from LA to New Orleans with my family and expect an overnight stop in El Paso. My brother says its not safe. Should I opt for another route?

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety in El Paso?

The crime rates in New Orleans and LA are both higher than El Paso (per Cityrating)

The only things I would be particularly concerned about are break-ins or theft of your car. Just use common sense.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety in El Paso?

El Paso has once again been voted the safest large city in the USA. It's a great place to stop.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Safety in El Paso?

El Paso has once again been ranked the safest large city in the USA. It's a great place to stop.

I wouldn't be concered about anything. It is the FBI's crime statistics that have ranked El Paso as the safest large city in the country.

Livonia, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Safety in El Paso?

My wife travels to Juarez every 3-4 months for work because they have a manufacturing facility there. She isn't allowed to cross the border without a security detail from the US per company policy. Her response is that nobody in their right mind should visit Juarez. It is still a very dangerous city run by the drug cartel and there is nothing there to see that's worth the risk.

Just thought I would share for anyone thinking about crossing over into Mexico from El Paso. El Paso on the other hand has been known to be a very safe place. My wife stays there when she travels to Juarez and has never has any issues.

19. Re: Safety in El Paso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:15