We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso? if not, what is the nearest american city the you would recommend to travel to and then to cross over into mexico?

55 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

The answer is no it is not safe, and there are no safe Mexican cities on the border. Murder rate in Juarez is way down, to fewer that 10 per week perhaps. Several years ago averaging 8 to 10 per day.

Many people cross each day, but I have lived here all my life and used to go routinely. I will not now however. Even people with family there prefer not to venture after dark.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

033_20: This very subject just came up in another thread a day or two ago. Our own State Department has warned Americans not to visit border towns because of the violence. It's not so much that Americans are targeted, but that they are just innocent victims of the drug gang violence.

For Mexican souvenirs, your best bet is to go to San Antonio, TX's mercado, where the authentic merchandise is brought in (obviously at a mark-up), but prices are negotiable, and it's a lot safer.

Have a safe trip!

A F
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

I personally think it's fine to travel through Juarez during the day. I've crossed that border many times, even as a pedestrian, and have had no problems. However, the best American city to cross into Mexico depends on where in Mexico you want to go. Are you driving through Mexico or looking to fly further into Mexico from a border city? The Juarez port of entry leads you to a not very touristy place, the desert. If you're driving to beaches then Brownsville, McAllen or San Diego would be the shortest route. If you want to travel into central Mexico but not necessarily the coast then Del Rio or Laredo would be more efficient. I'm not familiar with the border cities in Arizona but if you cross through there you would be heading into Sonora and Sinaloa (if you want the Pacific coast). These 2 Mexican states are historically some of the most violent. I will say this though, Mexico is a beautiful country filled with wonderful people. Yes there is violence, but the U.S. has its share of violence as well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

Boquillas Crossing to Boquillas village. Cross in Big Bend National Park. It's an end-of-the-road village in Mexico that depends upon tourist dollars. The people are friendly, the village is safe, and it's billed as a view of a way of life that is ending. Remember your passports to re-enter the USA.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

ColoradoMelinda: is that where the bridge was recently repaired?

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
718 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

It is very safe to go to Cd. Juarez/Valle de Juarez, especially by bicycle. In my case, I usually go over once a month, beginning with my annual Irene's Pedal (Thanksgiving, 2013), and depending upon my route, I'll camp out for a night. I am pushing for an international vuelte/race, between the Westernmost POE (Santa TeresaNM-San JeronimoCH and the Easternmost POE(el PorvenirCH-Ft. HancockTX), as well as a new NON-motorized POE at historic Boundary Marker One/Parque Madero/Casa de Adobe. Juarez, like El Paso, is a huge metropolis (actually several times the population of El Paso) and consequently has a much larger bicycling community. Anyway, I've stayed away from going South of the Border for years because of my fear, but since returning, I've felt nothing but kindness, concern, and courtesy (possibly because I'm pedaling my Doublevision). I did experience one incident of theft on the remote levee road between Parque Madero & Juarez Norte, which is something that can-and does-happen anywhere, particularly in the USA. There is one thing you need to know: if you enter Cd. Juarez/Valle de Juarez/Chihuahua/Mexico from the USA and intend to return, you MUST have a pass card or passport. Also note that when I go over, I avoid pedaling in darkness. Just don't be too "touristy"--many years ago whilst in LondonUK, my arm were full, leaving my pocket open for easy picking of a 5 pound note! Just practice the same safe & reasonably precautions your practice anywhere else and you'll not have any problems.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

How can I cross into Ciudad Juarez walking from El Paso airport?

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
718 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

It's too far from the El Paso airport to walk to the border/cross it, unless you are a speed walker, and even then it would take quite a while. I can pedal it in about an hour. Most likely though, you will go by motor car/taxi or Sun Metro bus. Please consult the Sun Metro website for the latest schedules. Regardless of the method, El Paso airport is pretty far from any border crossing, of which there are several, and most of them are toll for motor & pedestrian. Safety is a relative factor. I feel very safe when I pedal there, but then I'm on a huge Doublevision tandem recumbent with flags & lights all over and I explicitly follow the rules of the road--unless a unique predicament forces me to do otherwise. One of my favorite places to pedal is extremely historic Casa de Adobe, which is the Mexican counterpart to the USA Boundary Marker 1, currently a remote, dirty Border Patrol turn-around point.

Having said safety is relative, I had mounted an SJ1000 on the front of my Doublevision and while pedaling back from visitng at Casa de Adobe at the important memorial for former President Madero/getting excellent vid of elementary school students honoring him, the camera was stolen. Then, on my first foray into that great country, I went across the new Fabens POE bridge and pedaled North up Ruta 2, overnighting and then having my first coffee of the day at the Museo of Valle de Juarez, San Agustin (just East of Juarez), taking great care watching traffic, potholes, etc. I returned to the USA on the Bridge of the Americas(BOTA)/puente libre/Cordova, which is toll-free, thus very crowded. However, since was on my Doublevision, I walked it on a nearly pedestrian-free

sidewalk and was pedaling to my home on the Eastside when I heard the schreeching of car tires, feeling my stomach sink, thinking that the motor vehicle operator had (one again) misjudged the speed of my lights and I was going to get rear-ended (again), possibly injured or even killed--there have been far too many such deaths in El Paso.

So, after this verborrhea, is it safe the to Juarez from El Paso? Yes. IF you are practicing safety anyway. I love Juarez and look forward to returning, probably overnighting there again when I get a 3-day weekend. What's more, you'll be welcomed--tourists/visitors have been scared away (myself included for years) and we are wanted (back). Please go. Tell them "Juanito" sent you--I've frequently Tweeted & FB my adventures there!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
718 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

One other note: it is pretty warm in the Summer; I am especially fond of pedaling there during the other seasons.

Raleigh, NC
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

The Sun Metro does go from El Paso Airport to Juarez (by the Consulate)? I can't make out a schedule, everything appears within El Paso. I must do this in the coming weeks. If not, can you recommend a service that one can feel safe taking?

How is it passing over to Mexico and crossing back? I have never been there and I am a bit uncomfortable, which is unusual.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted