We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf in the Ventura area

Which Ventura hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Golf in the Ventura area

Hi

My husband and I are coming over from New Zealand and planning to stay in Ventura for a few days. Does anyone have a recommendation of nice golf courses that are not too expensive? We will have a hire car. The River Ridge seems to have two 18 hole courses in one location. Are these OK?

I'm also trying to figure out whether we should stay at the Mariott on the Beach or Sheraton at the Harbour. I guess the Marriott is closer to downtown for a bigger choice of restaurants without needing to drive home after a wine with our meal?

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
21 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf in the Ventura area

I'm not a golfer but golf team members from my high school also use Sterling HIlls in Camarillo. Not too far from Ventura. The Marriott is walking distance to the beach but not really walking distance to downtown. Easy drive though. The Sheraton is within walking distance of a few restaurants in the Ventura Harbor area. Sheraton you probably could get a room with view of Marina but the Marriott has no view rooms. If they say they do it means on the third floor balcony if you tip toe you will see a wedge of water.

The Crowne Plaza on the other hand is right at the water, near downtown and near the pier. If the price is right I'd pick the Crowne Plaza out of those three choices.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf in the Ventura area

Olivas Adobe is the local "classic" course:

www.ventura.com/activities/golf/olivas/

It's adjacent to the historical park and just down the street from the Harbor/Sheraton at the Harbour.

Marriott is not that far away (drive down the same street the Sheraton is on for about 2 miles, it's right there).

Yes, the Marriott is walkable from downtown, the Sheraton is not, really (long walk, can't be done by beachside because of the harbor and dark in places - a risk because it's a 4 lane highway).

Marriott is in a fairly sedate part of town with its own teensy restaurant row (lower Seaward - the Italian restaurant there receives goods reviews; Joannafina's is a local tradition; Duke's is where people go for good burgers and beer). There are however summer beach rentals within walking distance, so those lower Seaward places stay hoppin' to about...midnight (Ventura closes down early).

Marriott connects to the state park via pathways, which can be taken to the downtown area, or one can walk the bike path to downtown, as well, along the road (separated by a curb from traffic, so it's relaxing).

Cheaper golf is available at Saticoy Regional (only 9 holes, people who like practicing driving like it - Olivas has a great driving range too, though) but either Olivas or River Ridge would be closer.

;

3. Re: Golf in the Ventura area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:17