We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Marys Park for wedding

Gretna, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St Marys Park for wedding

I proposed to my fiance in the St Marys park two years ago. I always thought it was a beautiful place and holds a certain charm for me. We both enjoyed the concrete platform with the walkways up the sides in the corner of the park, and spent many an hour gazing out over the water from there during our trips to St. Marys. I would like to actually check on the possibility of having a small outdoor wedding ceremony at this spot, most likely in September. I do not know if the park if available for these types of functions, but am uncertain as to where to begin my inquiry. I have looked at the King and Prince for the reception and lodging for the small wedding party, but would really like to have the actual ceremony in the park, it is a beautiful place. Any information on who to contact for information about using the corner of the park for a small wedding would be appreciated.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

I would start with the City -- I am sure they can tell you how to do it --- but I would caution you to go to the park again, on the day of the week you plan to get married, to see how traffic noise and people noise/activities might affect your ceremony. A saturday afternoon in the park might be quite different than a Monday afternoon or a Sunday morning.

Gretna, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

Thanks, I found some information on the city website. It actually contained a link to a list of phone numbers and emails for local wedding and event activites, and lists the number of the person to call to ask about the park. I have been to St. Marys at different times of the year over the past few years, and have never found the park crowded at any time, and traffic is almost non-existant, except for the year we visited the festival there on Labor Day weekend, and the fireworks shows. I have been there on weekends and weekdays during the winter and summer months. I have family in St Marys, and me and the fiance visit the park daily while we are there, we love the area. Since it is 7 1/2 hour drive for us to get there, popping in for research is not an option, so I am left to resort to other means to find the information I need. We talked today about changing the date to sometime in October, since I remember that September on the coast of Georgia is still very, very warm. Our last visit in December, we were eating breakfast on the front porch of the Riverside Cafe the week after Christmas, so the later date may be more comfortable for our guests who are used to a cooler climate. I just never thought of looking for a St. Marys website, thanks again.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

Have you considered the bugs? We were there in October of 2007 and the bugs were horrible. Right across from the park are several restaurants and the trash bins for CI. They attract a lot of no-seeums!

Gretna, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

Ah, the sand flea capitol of the world, am I right? I remember the biting bugs, and it does not matter whether I visit in July or December, they are always there. It must be something the locals are used to, but it does not bother me that much. I used a light coating of bug repellant on my last visit and it helped keep them at bay. Maybe I should invest in some citronella candles for the ceremony?

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

I have a ThermaCell device that you put a small felt piece in and turn it on and it gives you a small area that is bug free. It emits some kind of bug repellant. It works I have used it on Cumberland. I found mine at walmart in the hiking/oudoor area. I think the citronella candles are pretty but not so effective. I hope you have a wonderful wedding.

Folkston, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

Lots of people have weddings in the park at St. Marys. The sandgnats are awful over there. Did not realize the thermacell worked on them but that is a good piece of info! I have a friend who recently married in the park. Will check with her and see who she contacted to set it up. Will post as soon as I hear back from her! Congrats and best of luck!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

anything to combat the sand gnats, great advice! thanks for the tip!

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

The only real time to avoid is when the ferry is about to leave or returning. Assuming you don't want a lot of spectators. It is a great place for a wedding. Congratulations!

Folkston, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

Talked with my friend. She said you need to call the City of St Marys at 882-1925. Just tell the receptionist what you need and they will direct you. Also, she has lots of information on wedding venues, etc. If you would like her email, just let me know.

10. Re: St Marys Park for wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 14:25
Get answers to your questions about St. Marys
Recent Conversations