We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Issaquah, WA
4 posts
Save Topic

I am making hotel arrangements for my father to attend Hamvention at Hara Arena. He is 80 and in pretty good shape. I would love to find something within close walking diatance. Any suggestions? Thanks

Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamvention

My hubby is a ham and he suggests

They have a list of hotel accomodations. He suggests you move fast, they book quickly.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamvention

I'm not sure when the Hamvention is but there are no hotels within walking distance of Hara Arena - and if there were you would not want your father staying there. I know that people sometimes have stay up to 100 miles away from HA. I would check into hotels in Englewood (OH) which is only a few miles up the road from HA. If nothing in Englewood, then check hotels on Miller Lane (Dayton), Tipp City, and even Troy (stay away from west of Hara unless a different town than Dayton). These are all small towns (except Miller Lane which is right off I-75 and minutes from I-70) within 30 minutes of driving to Hara - Troy being the farthest. Any will be safe and nice accomodations in these areas. Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamvention

I attend the Hamvention from the UK and each year I stay at the Holiday Inn at Fairborn about 11 miles from Hara.

A 4 day ham radio event is organised at this venue. Seminars, competitions, vendor stalls in the evenings. Ask you father if he is interested in QRP or home construction - that is the theme of the event.

No transport is organised. But around 250 attend and a notice board is available to link people with spare seats with those that need a lift. He will have no trouble at all finding someone to give him a lift. It all adds up to a very sociable event.

The organising club is QRP ARCI, website www.qrparci.org

The event is known as Four Days In May and the event website is www.fdim.qrparci.org (although the website for 2009 is not quite ready as I write this on 7 Feb 2009. It will be there soon - I am the webmaster for the site !

4. Re: Hamvention

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Dayton