We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

illinois
Level Contributor
93 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

How early do we need to arrive for domestic flights out of Dayton if we aren't checking any luggage? The Dayton International website recommends travelers arrive 2 hours before the flight but that seems excessive. We are taking a shuttle to get there and it would really open up more choices for us if we could consider flights that leave, for example, one hour after we arrive. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

Two hours is a bit much in my experience. Heck, I've arrived with 30 minutes before take-off and got my luggage checked, through security and at my gate in plenty of time (but I was panicking). Just beware, they do have busy days when it takes some time to get through everything, but it's no where near as bad as the large major hubs. I would say an hour to an hour and a half just to play it safe.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

If you're taking an *airline* shuttle (not a bus or van) then you will not need to go through security again. I think all my gates there have been in the same small terminal, within 100 yards of each other at most. And since you have no luggage, there's no time needed to get your luggage on your new flight. So I'd say that once you're off the plane you can get to the next plane in 3 minutes. Of course once you land, it can take up to 30 minutes to taxi and unload all the passengers, and your next flight will probably want to close the door as soon as possible but since you're checked in already, you don't need to worry about checking in again as long as it's the same itinerary (so the 15 or 30 minutes check-in cancellation rule will not apply to you). I've even seen them hold a plane (for me!) when it's close and they know you're coming in on a connecting flight. But regardless, I'd want to be there at least 15 minutes before the second flight leaves. So that would put your arrival time about 30-45 minutes before your next flight takes off. Of course if your first departing flight is late, you're going to miss it with that little time in between. So I'd recommend your first flight land about an hour before your next flight takes off to give you a good chance of not missing your second flight due to security, airport, taxiing, deplaning, weather, and other possible delays at either or both airports. But it's no guarantee. You may be 2 hours late leaving your first airport and miss your second flight, but then they still have to get you there, even though you missed your second flight, although it may take a long time, even to the next day!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

I agree that 2 hrs seems excessive, but as noted, it can be busy at times, but I've flown in and out of Dayton when the airport wasn't crowded at all. We try to be on the safe side when we travel and leave plenty of time. Personally, I think 90 mins should be plenty of time.

have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2ohio

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

There is a bunch of airplanes leaving every day around 0600-0700 and the lines can get pretty ferocious around then. other than that, 60-90 minutes prior to flight is usually plenty of time.

Cheers

5. Re: How early do we need to arrive at Dayton airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 20:18