We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Rainfall

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Summer Rainfall

We're looking to visit Bradenton area next July or August, but all the info I can find about the weather that time of year says that it pours with rain - is that the case? I don't want to travel all the way from the UK to find we had better weather at home! (PS- we have to go then as it is school holidays and my kids are all taking exams next year-I can't take them out of school)

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Rainfall

Summer thundershowers are normal for Florida. However, these are usually brief, lasting just a couple of hours. But if you were to judge by this July so far, rain has been relatively little. In fact in the news today there's a report on how all the water reservoirs are below normal levels. It is just impossible to predict a whole year in advance what kind of weather you will get. Only guarantee is that July and August are extremely hot and humid. The highs in Central Florida are reaching 35 C and with our humidity, it feels worse. Hopefully Bradenton, being on the coast ,will have a little breeze to help.

Have you been to Florida during Summertime before?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Rainfall

It has been hot. No real rain! We had a shower this morning--for 3 minutes it poured--that's it. Only time we really get a lot of rain without a hurricane is in September--usually get 3-4 days in a row then, then it clears out for 3-4 days. Otherwise, it might rain for a bit in the PM, but that's about it. Right now we would really welcome some rain! Kris from Bradenton

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Rainfall

No, we've never been to Florida before - we don't fancy the Disney thing and the coast looks great, but it might be the humidity that puts us off - I'd love to visit in May or September, but it's impossible with my children at the moment.

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Rainfall

I am planning a tennis vacation to the Bradenton / Tampa area the last week of July. I get a little worried that it may be rained out as July is a rainy month. What is the experience of others? From what I can tell, mornings are usually clear, and rain does not begin until 3 to 4 in the pm. Is that a safe assumption?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Rainfall

Don't worry about rainfall. My wife and I have holidayed 7 times in Florida. Theme parks in Orlando,Villas on Gulf coast last year we toured down the East coast to Key West.Yes we have experianced rain (Hurricane 2005) I can assure you when it rains it rains big time but only for short periods of time,then it dries in no time (and it is warm rain)

Only time it caused us a problem was when we were driving once but we pulled of road for 10 minutes and then all was fine.

Have a great time

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Rainfall

Weather in Florida is hot and humid July and August, thunderstorms most afternoons. But the storms are normally short and within an hour the place is dry again.

Weather not so noticeable on the beach as inland due to sea breeze. If looking at Bradenton suggest go to Anna Maria Island - lovely place !

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Rainfall

Roastbeef, I only mentioned the heat and humidity so you will not be totally unprepared. But if you're by the beach, you will enjoy it. As of the last two days, the weather is doing it Summer thunderstorm routine. Right now, 4:30pm, it is almost as dark as night with thunder rolling ....and I'm getting off the computer as soon as I post this. Should be over in a couple of hours ...

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Rainfall

I'm back ... it's 5:10 pm .... the thunderstorm is over - not even an hour. It was severe while it lasted. We lost electricity twice, momentarily. It's still cloudy, but at least it has stopped raining, and there's no thunder or lightning.

That's a typical Summer afternoon in sunny Florida.

9. Re: Summer Rainfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 10:37