We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Hot!?

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How Hot!?

We are staying Death Valley mid September and out of curiousity I had a look at the current temperatures on the bbc weather website.

Oh my god, it's 55.C (122.F)! What's it gonna be like in September?

I think I know why it might be called Death Valley? ;o)

Mentioned in this post
Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Hot!?

Here's what the Western Regional Climate Center says for their average temperatures (sorry, in farenheit): 106 degrees farenheit. October is "much cooler" at 92 degrees farenheit. Be sure to take a LOT of water with you, don't let your car get overheated.

Here's the url: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cadeat+sca

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How Hot!?

It'll be around 110-105 in Sept..

And about 85 at night.

I keep warning you over-seas folks, that it's best to visit Death Valley at dawn or dusk and never during the mid-day from May thru Sept. unless you want to schrivel up like a prune. It's not worth staying overnight in the Valley eventhough your ac will be running all day & night in your motel room. Biggest clue is to note that no U.S. folks are staying there overnight! That melted ice water in your traveling cooler might just come in handy for your over-heated rental. Along with all of the notable hard-water tubs along the roadside... Towing charges and auto repairs in The Valley are at a prime rip-you-off rate! Let alone, you also won't even see the Calif. Highway Patrol Police there neither for optimistic road side help! Take heed of these wise clues and advice....

Mentioned in this post
Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Hot!?

HI!

In response to your question about the weather in September. The hottest months on average are July/August, on average the temperature in September is 106 there are lots of weather sites for Death Valley on the net. However we have just come back (July) and it was 124 one day. Even though we had a convertible hire car we had to keep the roof up between 11am and 3pm or at least till we got out of the valley as the heat can be deceiving and DO carry plenty of water with you at all times! We loved it and are going back next year. Be prepared if you intend to backpack and listen to the locals and get advice. It is a fascinating place but can indeed be a dangerous one too!

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley Junction