We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Death Valley

We are planning a trip mid June from Las Vegas through Death Valley, over night in Lone Pine then on to Yosemite. I have read various scary comments in guide books re the intense heat of Death Valley, but we will be in an air conditioned 4x4. Any comments or advice? Thanks !

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley

Many people travel during the summer and are fine but be prepared and be prepared well. I recall a sign 'Turn off your car's air conditioner' while climbing from Panamint Spring to Stovepipe Wells

Read this very helpful post by Frisco_Roadrunner

http://tinyurl.com/6d6fnh

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley

Hi Travelinhope and welcome to the forum.

You'll have no problems driving in Death Valley. Millions have survived-lol- We have never turned off our a/c and a modern car has no problems driving through DV. Rentals by the well known companies are almost always new and in excellent condition. Yes, it will be hot, 115F and more and always carry enough water in the car and buy a cooler but that goes for your entire trip. And if you want to go out of your car, remember: Slip slop slap (slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat). You also don't need a 4x4 driving in Death valley as long as you stay on paved roads, and many roads, especially along the best known attractions, are paved.

Tet

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Death Valley

I agree with Tet - that is old, outdated advice in the guide books. Keep in mind that LV will also be very hot, as is the entire southwest US in the summer. Millions of folks live there and depend upon their air conditioning every day in brutal conditions. Modern cars handle heat very well.

But do carry water with you, as it is incredibly dry. And don't forget the heavy-duty hand lotion, lol!

Uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Death Valley

Thanks to everyone who has replied- I feel much more confident about the whole trip now!It will be the first time I have visited the States,and we are really enjoying the planning, quite tricky working out daily distances etc. We have our 19 yr old son with us, so any suggestions for a beach that will suit us all on the last night in LA would be welcome!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Death Valley

Hi travvelinhopeUK

I agree with the above comments - my only BUT is - I assume you are in a rental car - just check with them regarding their policy on driving thru Death Valley in mid June. We are coming over in June/July and looked at going through death valley but the RV company have a ban on it after June 15. Seeminly it is to do with the potential damage the heat can do to tires etc (according to their website anyway). I know a RV is different to a 4x4 but you don't want to set your plans down, get over there and then find you are not supposed to go thru the valley and if you ignored it and something happens you would be liable.

cheers

Kiwi

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Death Valley

No worries, there are no rentalcar restrictions in Death Valley or better I've never heard of restrictions. It's not allowed do drive with a rentalcar on dirt roads (also not with a 4x4!)

For RV's: Cruise America and El Monte: No driving in DV in july and august. Moturis and Road Bear: Not between june 15 and september 15. (2007 rules).

Uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Death Valley

Thanks again for info. I will definitely check with the hire car company.[this is such a good site!]

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Death Valley

Yes, it's true that modern cars, properly maintained, don't cause much trouble, even in extreme weather. In summer, many car manufacturers test vehicles in Death Valley. You may see them zooming along the roads, putting the cars through various cruel and unusual maneuvers. They have permits from the Park Service to do things that you and I would be cited for doing.

You will see signs just before some long, steep upgrades suggesting turning off the a/c to prevent overheating. These days, this is just a suggestion--but DO IT in the event your car does overheat.

I will be on summer break after the first week of June, and it's time to start thinking about my vacation travels. Maybe I'll see some fellow TAs in Death Valley! Look for the "Silver Mule" tooling around the Valley :)

Los Angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Death Valley

Hello TeT14

thank you for your comments on My trip to Monument valley I read about your trip to Death Valley. I hike and camp and Death Valley in so Beutiful. One of the most stunning places I have ever been.The first year I went by myself and was a little leary. Everyone I met was so friendly, Bring water. Next to Mammoth Mountain devils post pile area, D.V. is a once a year stop.

10. Re: Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 21:19