We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography Trip Planning

3 posts
Save Topic
Photography Trip Planning

I'm interested in a photography trip to DV, and possibly other parks, for one week in late February. Can anyone help me plan an itinerary of must sees, if I start in Las Vegas. I currently have a reservation at the Furnace Creek Inn at DV, but not sure how much time I'll need there. Also, I'd wouldn't mind seeing Zion, Bryce and the GC, but I'd rather not spend entire days driving. I could also probably spend a day or two in LV.

There's lots of good information on this site, but it's sometimes overwhelming. Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide.

Western PA
Level Contributor
737 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography Trip Planning

I think you need to trim your list. If your purpose is photography, you'll likely want to see areas of DVNP in different light, which means a couple of days just in that park. In February, your only GC option is the South Rim, which is a five hour drive from LV, and also deserves at least a couple of days. Bryce and Zion both have lots of photography opportunities, too. I think you could do DVNP, Zion and Bryce, and leave GC for next trip. It will be interesting to see what others come up with.....

T2E :-)

p.s. we did Zion and Bryce in 3 days in Jan '06 - would like to have had more time but it was still a great trip. Here's a link: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5396-Zion_and_…

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
536 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography Trip Planning

Zabriski Point and Dante's View are best photographed in the morning, and Artists' Drive in the afternoon. I'm not sure about Mosaic Canyon. Maybe someone can educate me on that one. They say the racetrack is best photographed at sunrise or sunset (I haven't been there yet, but hope to on my trip next month). Depending on what you want to see, there are other photographic opportunities such as Scotty's Castle, various sand dunes, devil's cornfield, the kilns, and a bunch of abandoned mines.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography Trip Planning

Thanks for the replies, they're very helpful in making my decision. I didn't realize the GC was that far, so I think I will take the advice and leave it till next time. Just two more items;

(1) If I was staying from Furnace Creek, what would be the drive time to get to the Racetrack and is a four wheel drive vehicle needed to reach it.

(2) What are Zion and Bryce like at the end of February? Are some of the locations closed that might be of interest photographically?

Thanks again for your help ...

Western PA
Level Contributor
737 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography Trip Planning

If you search this forum for racetrack, you'll find several discussions on the road there, the time it takes for the drive, etc. As I recall, the road eats car tires and it is probably best left for a second or third visit - it just takes too long to get to to make sense with limited time. There is too much else to see and do in limited time. But Frisco, Tet and others can give you more details!

For Zion and Bryce - probably best to post those inquiries in the respective forums and/or check the National Park Service websites for weather history info. We had snow in January '06 in Bryce and it added to the beauty but closed one road. Not sure if that is typical or not.

Since you may hit multiple parks be sure to check out the National Park "America the Beautiful" Pass - it may make sense for you.

T2E :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography Trip Planning

Death Valley and Zion would be great, but Bryce has had heavy snow this season. If you plan on going there (which is definately worthwhile) be flexible in regards to the weather.

6. Re: Photography Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 14:22
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley Junction