We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pahrump accommodations

Ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Pahrump accommodations

another DV rookie question please: since weh don't have a lot of time at our disposal for a 1day-trip to DV National Park I was thinking about getting a hotel in Pahrump since it's not far neither from LV not from the park...now I read some threads that the town is kind of ugly but all we need is a place to crash - not really into gambling, drinking or Walmart...on the map it looks like a good choice in terms of distance from the airport in LV which will allow us in the morning to make it to the park...any thoughts about that ? since we dont really want to drive any further ....thanks

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Pahrump is not a terrible town. Just a little...different. It is a manageable distance from Death Valley, and there aren't many/any accommodations west of Pahrump anyway.

Would it be correct for us to assume you arrive in Las Vegas in the afternoon and want to head out towards Death Valley right way? So you would spend the following day there and then head back to Las Vegas? Or something else?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pahrump accommodations

The Best Western ... clean, good location and complimentary breakfast.

From there, you could drive up to Beatty and into the park that way or take the previous route I suggested.

Or you could head in via Bell Vista/Stateline/Death Valley Junction to Zabriske Point. I just think it would be a waste to see only one major site.

Pahrump is little more than an hour away from the airport ... only one exit to the south via Blue Diamond Road.

"rookie questions" are why we are here! ;v)

Ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Thanks so much to both of you...yeah, we plan to go to Pahrump the same day we land in Vegas - we're coming from Toronto and land in LV in the afternoon , we're planning to spend the night in Pahrump , then have a look at the DV park the next day and then off to Vegas and Zion from there....the schedule will be kind of busy that's why we don't have a lot of time to spend in DV...but I heard and read that Zabriskie Point it's a fabulous site and view...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pahrump accommodations

So is Dante's View. To get there, you take Bell Vista/Stateline into Death Valley Junction and in 190 to the turn off for Dante's View. From there, you get back on the main road and continue down to Zabriske Point.

Additional sites you could visit are Furnace Creek visitor center, Salt Creek, Devil's Cornfield, the Sand Dunes and Stovepipe Wells. Return to Vegas the same way you drove in.

Unless you have a late afternoon arrival,and if it were me, I'd continue the hour past Pahrump and stay at Furnace Creek Ranch ... in Death Valley ... 190 ft below sea level. Sunrise at Zabriske Point cannot adequately be described.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Pahrump is just about the least appealing town in the entire Death Vallety region. If you have no other choice, it'll do. But if you have any alternative, take it. Beatty is the best choice on the Nevada side.

The biggest shortcoming to Pahrump is that you will have absolutely no authentic Death Valley experience. It is a town with strip malls, supermarkets, busy traffic, and hardly anything natural. The goal of Pahrump over the last 20 years seems to have been to pave as fast as possible and then put up buildings.

If you stay in Death Valley proper, you will enjoy tranquility, natural surroundings, mountains all around, the sounds of wildlife, dark skies at night, and the other elements of a real outdoor vacation. Pahrump has none of this, unless wildlife means cats meowing over the fence.

Beatty is a smaller town, and not as busy. It's much closer to a genuine desert experience, but still, it's a town.

Ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Thank you very much, Roadrunner

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pahrump accommodations

If it helps you make your decision, my family and I are driving to the Mojave area toward the end of April. We're getting too old to make it a one day trip from Salt Lake City. Instead of overnighting in Las Vegas, we decided to drive the extra 2 hours and spend the night in Death Valley before driving around and down to Mojave the next day.

Just being there is relaxing enough to make up for the extra effort and mileage. Watching the stars and absorbing the quiet is why people go to Death Valley.

Pahrump would be adequate, but you deserve to treat yourself after a long day of air travel.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Oh, getting back to LV and on to Zion, you could take the Beatty cut off in Death Valley and drive US95 into LV. If it's early enough, you might enjoy a quick stop at Rhyolite near Beatty.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pahrump accommodations

Xochi, don't forget, that nice campsite was #85. A big private space with shady tamarisk trees all around, a separation on one other side and in the back so there's only one adjoining campsite. :) And the visitor center is a few steps away but you can't see it, so it doesn't distract you at night. It's a short walk to the small marsh in the back of the golf course where you can watch birds.

I don't think I've ever made it between Salt Lake and Death Valley in one day either. There's always something to see or do along the way to sidetrack me.

If you're going via Pahrump, it is a good place to stock up before actually getting to Death Valley.

10. Re: Pahrump accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 03:17