We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to death valley

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to death valley

Hi. How long does this drive take? To get to stovepipe wells for example? Is it viable to drive from Vegas in the morning and end up at lone pine or is just too far. I am thinking as an alternative maybe leave Vegas at around 10 am stay at stovepipe or furnace (which?) and then next night maybe at lone pine? Does that seem sensible? We then have 4 days to get Francisco hopefully via Yosemite does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,688 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

Hi lac7

I suggest you go up to the California state forum and read the Top Questions. There is an article about the drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite with one night's stop. But you could certainly make more stops.

When are you planning to make this drive? Winter? Summer?

For info about what to see & do in Death Valley National Park, look on that forum page. The Top Q in the upper right has some valuable info. Here is a driving map from Las Vegas: nps.gov/deva/…20Vegas.pdf I think the "Shortest Route" is the best one, but that's just my opinion.

The Yosemite NP forum page also has good Top Q, especially about lodging. You'll definitely need reservations, regardless of when you hope to visit. Pop over to the Yosemite forum read the info and to ask questions about that NP.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

Before you set your heart on doing this, be sure your trip is during the season when Tioga Pass is open. I’ll reply as if you will be able to enter Yosemite from the east, but after the first major winter snows, the road closes until May or June.

For people going from Las Vegas to Death Valley and then going onward (not returning to LV) the best route is NV Hwy 160 to Pahrump, Stateline Road to Death Valley Junction, and CA Hwy 190 into the park. It’s about two hours plus from town to Furnace Creek. On the way are Dante’s View and Zabriskie Point. I suggest leaving town earlier, maybe around 7:00 or 8:00, to give yourself more time to enjoy some of the sights near Furnace Creek, particularly those along Badwater Road.

With enough time. you can have lunch at Furnace Creek, go down Badwater Road and see the major natural wonders there in 2-3 hours, or more if the weather is nice and you want to explore on foot. Devil’s Golf Course, Badwater, Natural Bridge, Artist’s Drive, and Golden Canyon are all in the first 17 miles. If you see them in the order listed, you’ll go south and then back north, returning to the Badwater-Hwy 190 junction, where the Furnace Creek resort complex starts.

You can stay at either Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells. I’ll call this Night 1. SPW puts you half an hour farther west. I also like it because it has a quieter, more rustic ambience than FCR. It is near Devil’s Cornfield, the Sand Dunes, and Mosaic Canyon. The Sand Dunes are especially fine for sunset views, and also for sunrise. Mosaic Canyon is a beautiful hike that does not require strenuous effort or a lot of time to enjoy some of the unique colors and rock formations. You could do it before leaving on the second morning.

You wouldn’t need to stay at Lone Pine, but I would suggest driving up to the Alabama Hills, an area of rock formations west of town that has been a popular movie location. If you like American Westerns or adventure pictures, you may recognize some of the landscapes. In mild weather when there isn't a lot of snow on the road, you can continue to the base camp where the climb of Mt. Whitney starts. Mt. Whitney is the highest point in the U.S. outside Alaska. Lone Pine also has a good movie museum.

From SPW to Yosemite Valley is close to 300 miles, and the entire route is scenic and beautiful with many things you’ll want to see. This is a long trip for a day, for first-time visitors. My suggestion is to stop over for Night 2 before entering Tioga Pass, to refresh yourself for the last stretch into Yosemite. Another reason is that Tioga Pass is a steep, curvy mountain road and you don't want to start over it in the afternoon with the sun going down directly in your face. This can be a safety issue as well as a distraction from enjoying the scenery. Lee Vining is the closest town to the park entrance, and Mammoth Lakes or June Lake would be within a half hour farther. Be sure to spend a little time enjoying Mono Lake before turning off for Yosemite.

You can spend most of Day 3 exploring Yosemite, and spend Night 3 in the park if you can get lodgings inside Yosemite.

Not sure if you have a fourth night enroute; if so, stay in the park again and make the most of your time. There is no need to stop over between Yosemite and San Francisco; the trip is about 4 hours if you do it in midday or afternoon when traffic is lighter

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

Thanks to both of you so much for this detailed info . I am going November 9 and it seems a bit dodgy about tioga being open. Since I need to try and book some accommodation Beforehand i think I had better not go for,the tioga option (save it for another trip) but plan to come to yosemite from the south.

I was wondering if it's possible to go from Vegas with an early start and fit In Mojave national,preserve en route to DV, driving Kelbaker rd. Or is this crazy?

From DV how long to south entrance Yosemite? Maybe this route I could make it into the park for the night, assuming there is somewhere available to stay now I have left it a bit late. I think I will stay 2 nights in yosemite asmitmsounds so wonderful.

Best wishes

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

Vegas to the Kelso Depot headquarters of the Mojave Preserve is about 1.5- 1.3/4 hours. Then from the Depot to Furnace Creek is about 3 hours. So its a quite a bit of a detour. If you were staying the night in DV and left Vegas at sunrise, it might be an option, otherwise I would forget it. But here are pics of the route if you go.

https:/…DriveThruMojavePreserve

https:/…

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,688 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

Google Maps does a decent job of estimating drive times, but of course you'd need to add extra time for scenery, refueling, stretching your legs, and eating!

Some folk drive from Death Valley (Stovepipe Wells, maybe?) to Oakhurst for the 1st night. The first thing in the morning, visit Mariposa Grove just inside the South Entrance. Then continue north, perhaps detouring to Glacier Point before ending up in Yosemite Valley.

Stovepipe Wells to Oakhurst is 363 mi, 6 hours 13 mins, according to Google Maps. If you want to go all the way to Yosemite Valley, it's 409 mi, 7 hours 37 mins. Both are without any stops and using Hwy 99.

If the weather is good on your driving day, the route via Tioga Pass is much more scenic. Read about it on the California page, Top Questions.

www.SunriseSunset.com will help with daylight hours.

The Yosemite forum Top Questions & Itineraries (upper right) will help with lodging & activity planning.

6. Re: Las Vegas to death valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:19