We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

3 posts
Save Topic
Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

Our family is planning to drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas via Death valley on July 19. My parents (65+) with heart problem are going to travel with us and our daughter is 5 yr old.

Just want to have opinion from this forum, is it safe to drive through death valley in month on July? We are not planning to stop any where, just driving in A/C car.

This is our first visit to DV. Your opinion will be helpful to plan our trip.

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,571 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

You aren't making the suggested two day drive? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

With only one full day, leave early. You won't have much time to stop in Tuolumne Meadows, in the eastern Sierra, or in Death Valley. But it's feasible. Carry a cooler of water & snacks with you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

It is perfectly safe to do the drive. I would emphasize the idea of carrying enough water, even in a car with ac. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, always carry at least a gallon a person. I always carry two gallons a person. Too bad you will have no time to see much. The scenery is gorgeous. At the very least stop at Father Crowleys Point on the way in. You might also try Zabriskie Point on the way out, but it is a little bit of uphill walking.

ZB

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a route suggest that covers most scenic route?

We will leave Lee Vining early morning (6ish) and plan to reach LV late evening (8ish). That means I can atleast drive for 8hrs.

4. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 20:51
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,571 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

>>Do you have a route suggest that covers most scenic route?<<

That's the link in Reply 1. You'd do it in the reverse direction. Here is the list of "attractions" in your direction.

- Mono Lake, June Lake Loop, Devil's Postpile National Monument, Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, Manzanar National Historic Site, Mt Whitney, Alabama Hills, Lone Pine

- Death Valley NP: Panamint Springs, Father Crowley Point, Mosaic Canyon, Stovepipe Wells, Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, Devil's Cornfield, Harmony Borax Works, Furnace Creek, {detour ... Badwater, Devil's Golf Course, Artists Drive, Golden Canyon}, Zabriskie Pt, 20 Mule Team Canyon, {detour ... Dante's View}

- and on through Pahrump to Las Vegas

========

I'm very curious what FriscoRoadrunner wrote and removed in Reply 4. Her posts are always excellent!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

You might be amazed at how many families with young children go to Death Valley in the summer. I just returned from working with the National Park Service, and we had flocks of kids participate in the Junior Ranger program. There are also many older people from around the world, including from northern climates like the UK, the Netherlands, Korea, and other places where they don’t get many chances to experience this kind of weather.

Have you seen the Top Questions topic on summer travel safety in Death Valley?

** “Do you have a route suggest that covers most scenic route? We will leave Lee Vining early morning (6ish) and plan to reach LV late evening (8ish). That means I can atleast drive for 8hrs.” **

The ENTIRE route is scenic, and should ideally contain at least one overnight stop between Yosemite and Death Valley to really enjoy it. You will be driving along the Eastern Sierra Nevada for much of the way. You will wish you had more time to see Mono Lake, June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes, (and perhaps Devil’s Postpile), the Bishop area, Mt. Whitney, and the Alabama Hills (and maybe Manzanar, the Lone Pine movie museum, and the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center). All that is only halfway to Death Valley.

Then you will wish you had more time to enjoy everything in Death Valley, even if you only stop and get out briefly to look, take pictures, and breathe some fresh air. The Mesquite Sand Dunes. Devil’s Cornfield, Salt Creek, Harmony Borax Works, Furnace Creek Visitor Center for the exhibits and movie, Devil’s Golf Course, Badwater, Artist’s Drive, Golden Canyon, Zabriskie Point, 20 Mule Team Canyon, and Dante’s View are among the major sights to see that you can do without a lot of walking, and I’ve given them in the exact order you can see them most efficiently as you zip through on your way to Las Vegas.

An 8-hour drive on a vacation to get from one place to another, having to rush past some of the most unique and beautiful scenery and specific landmarks in America, is doable, but it would be far more pleasurable if you had more time. Think of this as an all-day commute, and try not to feel too disappointed about everything you will miss or have to just glance at briefly. You will be ready for bed when you reach Las Vegas.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

Pacific, I had to delete the earlier post because I misread the OP's travel direction. The new post is basically the same info, but in the right direction.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

Thanks Frisco, Pacific.. Information you provided is really helpful...

9. Re: Planning to drive through Death Valley on July 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:15