We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

manchester
Level Contributor
34 posts
23 reviews
Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

I’m due in mammoth on the 3rd August, is it likely to be affected by smoke from the Ferguson Fire?

Thanks

28 replies to this topic
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

Here are some web cams you can view during the daytime hours for a visual assessment: https://www.mammothmountain.com/cams

For a numeric assessment see https://airnow.gov/index.cfm/index.cfm…

At the moment I am typing this the AQI is rated as "Good" with a score of 31 on a scale of 1 to 500. If it stays like this, you will have nothing to worry about.

Conditions can change every day, or even hour by hour, due to air movement, wind direction and the status and location of the fire.

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

We're in Bishop right now and the air is pretty hazy all along the Sierra Nevada escarpment; visibility is poor to medium but there is no smoke smell. I don't think it will impact your visit to Mammoth Lakes very much.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,486 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

The 3rd of August is 10 days from now. Hard to predict what or where the fire will be then. Stay tuned.

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
4. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

You can check current air quality here:

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm…

Montana
Level Contributor
41 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

Thanks for the information regarding the eastern side of the Sierra and the websites. I, too am contemplating a trip to the eastern range between Lee Vining and Independence for the sole purpose of hiking. I live in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and understand that air quality from smoke can change at any minute. But hiking in the Sierra is my second most favorite place, after the Rockies and I need to get back there sometime soon, but with the clean air here, I do not want to hike in any kind of haze or smokey conditions. I will continue to monitor conditions, but perhaps this is not the best summer to do so.

6. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

The air quality had been a bit worse the last couple days according to the websites. It's been Moderate and even Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups at times. Are you going on the 3rd? I have reservations on the 11th and am just waiting to see how bad it is right before the trip.

1 post
1 review
7. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

We are in Mammoth now and the smoke yesterday and today has been so think you can barely see the outline of the mountain against the horizon from the base. We have postponed hiking plans until it clears out a bit.

The morning looks promising, then the wind picked up around 11am and brought it all down into the valley.

8. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

Thank you for posting this. It's hard to know what it is really like just looking at numbers on a website. I hope you'll keep posting updates.

California
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

We are going the same weekend. I spoke to the boat rental place at silver lake, and she said the last 2 days have been worse. Really hazy during the day, and the worse in evening with heavy smoke smell. It just depends on wind direction. All of California is smoke in right now, so we are going anyway. We are from Sacramento, California and it can't be any worse at june lake than it is in Sac... lol

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,694 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?

FYI, I have been in Death Valley for over a week and the air quality has varied from fair to poor. We've had clear spells, but the Ferguson Fire residue blowing eastward and now the Cranston Fire to our south have really fouled our air. There are times that from the Furnace Creek area, the Panamint Range is just a shadow. I drove out to Pahrump NV yesterday and the air quality was poor out of the park boundary and well past the Nevada state line. When I came back today, Death Valley again had thick haze.

Reply to: Is mammoth affected by the Ferguson Fire smoke?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes