We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel prices in winter.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
285 posts
76 reviews
Hotel prices in winter.

Why prices of hotels are climbing up in recent years, but there are no new hotels added in Mammoth Lakes? Some days there is price of 100$ just for a bed in dormitory. Some hotels have horrible reviews (I would never ever stay at such hotel), or shared bathrooms and non refundable policy but still manage to have tourists and charge them more then a general hotel in popular location.

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,239 posts
1. Re: Hotel prices in winter.

Supply and demand.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,462 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Hotel prices in winter.

There are only a handful of motels in Mammoth, and two hotels. The accommodations there are all condos, and operated by rental management companies (or airbnb). Try getting a room on airbnb, instead of looking at motels.

Employee housing has been squeezed out by the private rental business, and this has affected the motels in the area.

There are no dormitories. Don't know what you're referring to with that statement about a "bed in a dorm".

Mammoth Resort (MMSA) was recently sold, you may see new construction in the coming years, but the prior owners did not add any hotels or properties, however they are making improvements on the hill (new lifts) and are upgrading Canyon Lodge and have installed a zip line.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
285 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Hotel prices in winter.

I know about Mammoth mt. changes and about condos. Condos are cheaper if staying more then four days, because there is a cleaning fee or damage fee usually. I am more surprised about what you get for the price. Dorm you can get in Moderne Hostel. Because of the prices so up, we started to spend one night in Bishop, and another in Mammoth.

Reply to: Hotel prices in winter.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes