We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

As we are from QLD Australia we are coming to the USA for a white Christmas - we were advised that perhaps we will not see snow in New York from the 17th - 27th Dec so picked up an airfare that allows a stopover in California. Have looked up resorts on the internet but really hard to decide - as my husband is flying out later it will be for my daughters aged 18 & 16 plus myself only. I have narrowed it down to either Mammoth or Heavenly - looking for advice. We arrive in Lax on the 6th Dec & want the village feel, with fires etc., to get the whole atmosphere as usually we are spending it in summer on the beach. We will have approx 5 nights to spend before heading to San Francisco - we can all ski.

Appreciate any advice

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

The first question is how you plan to get from LA to either place. By car, Mammoth is about 6 hours and Heavenly about 9 hours. By air there is an airport right at Mammoth (code = MMH) with 2-3 daily flights from LAX on Horizon Air 70-passenger turboprops (like Qantas Airlink uses). For Heavenly you will have to fly to Reno (RNO) then drive about 90 minutes. If the roads are heavily snowed in that could be challenging. There are probably shuttle buses from RNO as well.

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

Appreciate your comment . Yes, depending on where we choose we would fly in to save time - have looked at flights into Mammoth Lakes & Reno from LA. Costings not bad compared to over here? If you feel that Heavenly would be better for us - happy to catch the shuttle from Reno Airport as prefer not to drive.

N California
Level Contributor
506 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

I might look to Northstar at Tahoe or Squaw Valley as other options. I think of them as having more of a village feel than Heavenly or Mammoth, and better snow for early season than Heavenly.

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

Thanks for that, have had a look at Northstar & notice that there is an ice rink there too. Will research some accommodation options tonight

Mammoth Lakes...
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

As a Mammoth local, I would personally like to welcome you to stay in our town. There are a number of great places to stay in the town itself, or you could stay in a ski-in, ski-out condo (depending on your budget). Free shuttle bus around town and to the mountain. Keep in mind, there may be more things to do in Tahoe after dark. That's for sure. But Mammoth is arguably the best mountain to ski in California, if not the entire U.S. So if good skiing is the most important thing about your trip, you want Mammoth Mountain. If shopping and night life are the most important, you might try Tahoe. Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip to the Sierra Nevada.

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

Thanks for the info, was most helpful - as we are not arriving in the US until 3rd Dec, I have delayed booking something for the snow on the 6th so I can see what the weather & conditions are like? The girls & I are far from experts but would enjoy a few days skiing/boarding - as they are only 16 & 18 we understand they cannot get into bars anyway no nightlife doesnt worry us & shopping can be done on our next stop in New York. Fingers crossed you will get a good dump of snow early December?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

For a family vacation I'd choose North Lake Tahoe over South Lake (Heavenly) because it is a nicer mountain atmosphere.

At North Lake, Northstar-at-Tahoe would be my first choice because it is a great self contained resort with shopping, dining and ice skating. Squaw Valley would be my second choice and mostly because of their High Camp area that is just fabulous

northstarattahoe.com/info/ski/the-village/vi…

http://www.squaw.com/high-camp.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

Hi , i too am from the sunny coast, we had a ski holiday at mammoth in feb this year, the snow was some of the best i have seen, lots of powder, nice quiet area (depending on what you want to do) we stayed in an apartment so ski all day and stay in at night, so don't know much about the nightlife, its already snowing in mammoth, so if you are planning some snow activities its a great mountain to visit. we are going again in feb 2011 , we also drive from L.A. to Vegas, then Vegas to Mammoth and then to SanDiego, was a good drive, nice open roads, but L.A is a busy road in, lots of lanes and lots of traffic. I'm sure whererver you choose you will have a great time :)

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

If you haven't decided yet, strongly recommend flying to Mammoth. Variety in all ways, 7 feet plus recent snow, town and mountain shuttle so no need to drive, scenic, friendly. Your teens will love this place - lots of Southern California kids around all the time. Grumpy's, The Mogul, Lakefront, Nevados, Mammoth Brewing Company.

Wouldn't steer you wrong. Loved our times in Queensland - North Stradbroke Island, Amity, Brisbane, Townsville, Mission Beach, Cairns, Daintree.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mammoth or Heavenly for sunburnt Aussies?

And: You can fly to Mammoth direct from LAX (short 10 mile shuttle ride from airport to town). AND you can fly from Mammoth to San Francisco direct. So no 'winter driving' at all.

Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes