We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

I saw a reference for a good place for snow fun for kids as The Woodlands. I can not find anything on it on this web page. Is it a golf coarse, or a condo?

We are coming to Mammoth Lakes the end of February. I know it is hard to predict, but generally, is 120 open this time of the year?

Since we are coming from Monterey, our other options that I see are 88, 4, or 108 to 395. which is better, and are there any good stops along the way? We may want to split the travel day to two since we have a toddler on board. Any good hotel reccomendations??

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

OK, I see 88 is our best possibility, since others have winter closures as well. What are the good stops for this route. We are thinking Jackson is the best bet. Is that correct?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

There are only 2 golf courses in Mammoth. Snow Creek which a fun 9 hole course that is pretty windy in the afternoon. It's located on Ol Mammoth Road. Sierra Star is the beautiful 18 course located on Minaret Road.

The Woodlands is a condo complex located on Chateau Rd just off Old Mammoth Road and Minaret.

120 will definitely not be open. 89 is closed for the winter from 395 to 4 as well. 108 is closed for the winter from Strawberry to 395. The sierra passes all close in the winter. We were in Mammoth last week. We took 50 to South Lake Tahoe, took the Kingsbury Grade 207 to 88 left to 395 and headed south. It's only about 2 hours from Gardnerville to Mammoth Lakes.

The drive there was stunningly beautiful on a really nice day. The drive back was frightening with blowing snow and icey roads. The wind was so fierce that the semi trucks blew over. We were the only car on the road going north until we hit Gardnerville.

To break up the drive I'd drive from Monterey to South Lake Tahoe. Expect it to be about 5 hours or so if the weather is good. You can stay in some nice places there. If it's midweek you can also get some good deals. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites which is on the CA side but right next door to Harrahs. We have also stayed at the Marriott Grand which was very nice and located near the gondola within steps of shopping and restaurants. The Marriott Timber Lodge is nice too. The next day the drive will be only about 2.5 hours to Mammoth Lakes if the weather is good. Carry chains as driving in the mountains during the winter means a real possibilty of snow.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

If you plan to take 88 you should check frequently to see if there are any controls in effect. If 88 closes temporarily then 50 would probably be open but require chains.

If you plan to take 88 to 89 then you would hit the section that's closed. You'll have to take 88 to 206 and catch 395 near Gardnerville or Minden. If you try to cut across you may end up like we did driving on the reservation for a long time trying to reach 395.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the Woodlands?and some other questions

Thanks for replying to my post. We will use 88, then up to Gardnerville. We purchased chains already, and will stay in Jackson. We wanted the golf coarse not to golf, but it is a good place for kids to play in the snow. Nice smooth slopes, no holes.