We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth Lakes in September

Queensland...
Level Contributor
174 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth Lakes in September

We are a family of 6 Aussies first time to the US. Thinking of doing a road trip Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, SanFrancisco and back down the coast to Los Angeles. Can anyone give us an idea of what the weather may be like for Mammoth Lakes in Sept, and how are the driving conditions? We are quite nervous about driving over there, but don't want to rely on tours.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Hi

Mammmoth Lakes is gorgeous in september. It's along the Eastern Sierras and the whole area is breathtaking.

Visiting Grand Canyon from LA and back via San Francisco will be a major detour. How long are you coming? There are so many other places to visit also on this trip. Prob you are referring to a trip: Los Angeles-GC-Las Vegas-Death Valley-Mammoth Lakes-Yosemite-San Francsico-hw1-Los Angeles. 2 weeks already will be short for this. LA to GC is a 8-9 hours drive. Make your reservations for GC and Yosemite asa possble. Driving conditions are excellent but you'll have to drive a pass between Mammoth and Yosemite called Tioga Pass, one of the most scenic in the country. No worries, roads are good but sometimes steep and winding. Also a winding road between Monterey and Cambria on hw1 along the coast. Dtiving to and from GC is very easy.

Tet

Queensland...
Level Contributor
174 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Thanks so much for your reply Tet. Now I'm more excited than ever to see this beautiful part of your country. You are right about our itinerary. We actually have about three weeks available for the holiday and I thought that this itinerary would be the best for seeing the west coest. We don't want to do the long drives, as with 4 teenagers, they're likely to get bored. Also, we'

re not confident about driving over there at all (we are confident, capable drivers at home). Knowing that we have 3 weeks, could you recommend an itinerary around this area that would not involve long, harrowing drives, but would allow us to see the area? We are spending the first 3 days at Disneyland, and would like to spend maybe a couple of days in Los Angeles & another couple in Las Vegas (seeing the Cirque du Solliel).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Hi

Well, driving in the USA is easy once you're outside the big cities.

I have not been directly between LAX and Anaheim so best is to post your questions on the Anaheim forum for the commute: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

Don't know what time of day you'll arrive but if you have to drive in rushhour, I'd spend first night close to Lax and drive to Anaheim next morning (app. 1 hour). For DL you'd better stay in Anahein imo.

Day 1: Arrive LA

Day 2,3,4: DL

Not sure about 3 days in DL. Maybe consider to drive day 4 to Palm Springs and do the aerial tramway up in the mountains

Day 5: Just bite the bullett. It's a long drive (7-8 hours) from Anaheim (bit shorter from Palm Springs) but almost all on a fast interstate. Take I10 east to Phoenix, west loop 101 to I17. Enjoy the Saguaros on your way. Take exit 298 to Sedona. www.visitsedona.com

Day 6: Sedona all day. Slide Rock SP, Chapel of the Holy Cross and a Jeep Tour through the red rocks. Sedona is breathtaking. Don't forget the jeeptour.

Day 7: To Grand Canyon NP via az89A to Flagstaff. Take us89 north via Sunste Crater Volcano NM and Wupatki Ruin to Cameron for the Trading Post. Great views on Painted Desert on your way. Enter GC by its east entrance and make as many stops as possible. First stop at Desert View watchtower. Make a reservation for GC at www.grandcanyonlodges.com or www.tusayanhotels.com

Day 8: All day GCNP. To many people 1 night at the rim is enough though so it depends on what you want to do. Short hike (and I mean short) into the canyon and the shuttle to Hermits Rest are some thinks te do. www.nps.gov/grca

Day 9: To Las Vegas. Drive R66 between Seligman and Kingman and stop at Hoover Dam and the new bridge. Here's an article about them:

nytimes.com/2011/…

Day 10: Las Vegas

To be continued. For info on California you also can hit the California forums and the ones for Yosemite, San Francisco and more.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Back again...

So from Las Vegas you could do:

Day 11: From Las Vegas to Death Valley NP. Will be hot of course. Make a DV reservation. LV to DV (Furnace Creek) only is 2.5 hours so you can see some of DV that day. I'd make a reservation either at Furnace Creek Ranch, or Stovepipe Wells resort (not a resort...).

Day 12: Drive from DV to Lone Pine and to Mammoth Lakes. This is a great stretch and lots of places to see and visit. Can give you more details if you wish.

Day 13. Drive from Mammoth into Yosemite. Another great drive. You could see June Lake, Mono Lake and Bodie ghosttown. Take your time for Tioga Pass. This will be a full day towards Yosemite if you want to visit the mentioned places.

Day 14: Yosemite NP

Day 15: Yosemite to San Francisco

Day 16 and 17: San Francisco

Day 18: San Francisco to Monterey via Santa Cruz.

Day 19: Monterey to Cambria along hw1 Tons of places to visit. Don't miss Point Lobos, Big Sur and Hearst Castle.

Day 20: Drive from Cambria via Santa Barbara and via Pacific Coast hw from Oxnard to Santa Monica and Venice.

Day 21: Los Angeles.

Many more options as always. Hit the destination forums for more details.

Happy planning and don't hestitate to ask more questions.

Tet

North Coast NSW
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Whilst on the subject... we are planning to travel route 395 Los Angeles north through Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite with detour to Bodie. Then back to SFO. Any idea if this is can be covered in 5 days without being a whirlwind visit ? thanks for your help !!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

I'd do:

Day 1: Drive from LA to Lone Pine

Day 2: Lone Pine to Lee Vining with a visit to Bodie.

Day 3: Drive to Yosemite

Day 4: Yosemite

Day 5: Drive to San Francisco.

Another option is to see more of the sight between Lone Pine and Lee Vining first and visit Bodie before the drive into Yosemite.

What time of year are you coming?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

A-Hamilton -

You have tagged onto a very old thread and you are in the Mammoth Lakes forum. Is there a reason you are wanting to go to Mammoth Lakes? Mammoth Lakes is very popular with young people for adventure sports such as skiing and snowboarding in the winter and mountain biking in the summer.

If you are coming in the summer, Mammoth Lakes is also the entry point for Reds Meadows and the Devil's Postpile National Monument, a very scenic part of the Sierra Nevada. Since entry to this area requires transportation by shuttle bus, you would need to spend most of the day there. There's hiking and horseback riding down there and park rangers lead walks to the Postpile. Going to Rainbow Falls is also very popular.

www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=415

So, if you are planning on going to this area, here is an alternative 5 day itinerary:

Day 1: LA to Mammoth Lakes

If you get a really early start, you can make the 4 hour drive to Lone Pine - possibly visit Whitney Portal, Alabama Hills, or Manzanar - and then continue on to Mammoth Lakes in the late afternoon.

or

Drive 5 hours from LA to Big Pine and then drive up and visit the Bristlecone Pines and then continue on to Mammoth Lakes in the late afternoon:

www.google.com/url…

Day 2: Mono Lake and Bodie

Day 3: Yosemite via Tioga Pass - spend the day at Tuolumne Meadows, Tenaya Lake, etc.

Day 4: Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point

Day 5: Visit Hetch Hetchy in the morning and drive to San Francisco in the afternoon.

North Coast NSW
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

Thanks for the advice. We will be there around late September early October which I gather is not ideal for Yosemite but can't be picky I'm afraid. From what I have read, it seems there is a lot to see for just a drive through. Beautiful lakes etc. Would it be worth it still ??

North Coast NSW
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

We are just passing through. I have read a little about the area and it looks lovely. We are taking a band on tour to Los Angeles for a week and were hoping to spend a week on our own to recover before coming home to Australia.

We have been from SFO to Reno over the top of the Sierra Nevadas by rail and it was beautiful both with snow and without. Have always wanted to see Yosemite then discovered all these interesting places between LAX and the north. We have done the Big Sur so thought inland might be the go. Is there much between Los Angeles and Long Pine ??

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mammoth Lakes in September

"Is there much between Los Angeles and Long Pine ??"

The great scenery begins a little south of Lone Pine which is towards the southern end of the Sierra Nevada. This is where Mt. Whitney is - the highest peak in the lower 48 states. Most of the road between LA and Lone Pine is desert and not all that interesting. Drive fast.

Late September is a great time to visit the area. In Yosemite, the waterfalls will not be as full or impressive as spring but everything else is still quite beautiful. Mono Lake and Tenaya Lake are highlights along this route.

For questions about Yosemite (sights and lodging, etc.), it's best to post a new question in the Yosemite forum.