We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking around Mammoth

SAN JOSE
Level Contributor
48 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Biking around Mammoth

Is there family (relatively mild) biking in Mammoth that is not too challenging? I read in the forum about a dedicated paved bike trail to Horseshoe Lake. Comments on its distance and difficulty?

Anaheim Hills
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking around Mammoth

I think it's about 6 miles long from where Lake Mary Road starts to Horseshoe Lake. It's also about 1,000 foot vertical climb. It's quite a work out if you do the full bike trail route.

My recommendation would be to drive to Lake Mamie outlet (top of Twin Lakes Fall) and park there. You will see the bike trail from there. Take the bike trail to Horseshoe Lake and and back to Lake Mary. Elevation is fairly even so pretty mild riding. Can go another 1 1/2 mile down to Twin Lakes outlet and back, but would be a 400 foot gain coming back to your car, so up to you on that.

It's a beautiful paved ride through the Forrest, goes near the riding stables and of-course the lakes and streams. Don't miss it!

Mammoth Lakes...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking around Mammoth

I would recommend parking at the village and taking the free trolley to horseshoe then ride back down. Watch for construction as some of the path is still being built. The trolley picks up near the Westin stairs opposite the MMSA bike shuttle

Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking around Mammoth

Riding the trolley up to the Lakes Basin is the way to go. You can also access the paved town bike path from Mammoth Creek park or Shady Rest park-there is a nice, short, fairly flat section in Shady Rest that is a good family ride especially if you're not used to the altitude yet.

4. Re: Biking around Mammoth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:17