We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Visit

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
507 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
August Visit

Hi,

We were in Mammoth Lakes a couple of years ago in September for 4 nights (checked in for 1, then extended to 4) and had an amazing time, horseriding, hiking down mammoth mountain, downhill mountain biking (slowly in my case), devils postpile etc.

We are on another road trip and will be travelling from Las Vegas up through either Yosemite to Sacramento, or up to Lake Tahoe and then to Sacramento.

We had such an amazing time in Mammoth Lakes last time we'd like to go again, however I'm not sure if a re-visit would tarnish a perfect memory based on my following concerns:

- last time we arrived in September, you could drive down to the devils postpile as it was quiet

- hiking and mountain biking was really quiet (e.g. we only ever had a couple of people in the queue for the gondolas with our bikes)

- we stayed in the Westin Monache in a one bedroom, however our budget this time won't stretch that far (it was our first wedding anniversary last time). We really loved this resort and actually spent a couple of evenings in our room after our day time activities (after sitting in the jacuzzi until our fingers were wrinkled)

- we'll only stay a maximum of 2 nights this time

Should we be concerned about the second visit being disappointing in comparison to our last visit? Is there a hotel that will give us an equally special experience on a more limited budget?

If not, is there somewhere else we could stop on route as an alternative?

Thanks

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,052 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Visit

I don't think anyone can answer this for you, it's your decision whether you want to visit again or not. August is more crowded than September for sure. As far as where to stay, look at the Mammoth Mountain owned properties at The Village or over by Eagle (mammothmountain.com).

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Mountain
Mammoth Mountain
966 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
california
Level Contributor
335 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Visit

If you go to www.vrbo.com there are some rentals-by-owner listed for the Monache, and the rates are really good - there is a one bedroom listed for $125.00. There are also some good rates at one bedrooms at the Grand Sierra Lodge. We were considering both properties for a summer visit.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,341 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Visit

If you are open to staying at another area - I'd go to June Lake Loop instead just for variety. That way you will not be in constant comparison with what you did last time - but still close enough to drive to Mammoth Lakes in half hour. August is much busier than September in both places - but still lovely time to visit.

In June Lake Loop, take a look at

http://gulllakelodge.com/

http://www.doubleeagle.com/

http://www.junelake-rentals.com/about.html

The later one is for reserving vacation rentals in the area.

There are gorgeous lakes to enjoy. There are horse back riding - horse back stables are by Silver Lake. You can do paddle boats on Gull Lake. You can take a gorgeous 2 mile hike to Parker Lake on the Loop

kevingong.com/Hiking/200406ParkerLake.html

For meals, several nice restaurants such as Carson Peak Inn

and for late night drinking with locals and good breakfasts Tiger Bar

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32547-d13…

http://thetigerbarcafe.com/

its close enough to drive to Mammoth Lakes or do a day trip to Miono Lake, Lundy Lake, and Bodie Ghost Town.

Just wanted to mention another alternative close by -

Both Mammoth Lakes and June Lake Loop are fabulous and fun places to stay......so its up to you which one you would like. I did want to let you know what is in the area as an alternative. have fun.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Visit

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll look into both options this weekend. June Lake Loop looks lovely for a wee change.

Cochecton, New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Visit

June Lake is my most favorite place in the world! If you are concerned about crowds, don't stay in Mammoth Lakes. The June Lake Loop is extraordinarily beautiful - a hidden gem! You won't be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
June Lake
June Lake
California
6. Re: August Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:16