We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

Part 1 Lake Tahoe

Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

July 16 We survived our drive down the Kingsbury Grade. It was a short drive through some pasture land to US-395. Driving down US-395 was beautiful. With the Sierras on one side and an ever changing view as the road wound its way south.

Our first stop of the day is Bodie. We turned off on Bodie road, wound around the hills and slowly climbed in altitude. Along the way be passed a herd of sheep grazing. The last few miles of the road is gravel and slow going. We arrived at the entrance station and it was 7 dollars each person and 2 dollars for the book. Buy the book. It is a guide to Bodie and will explain what you are seeing.

It really does look like everyone just left town one day in the 30's. Looking thru the windows of the general store, school and bars, things are still set out waiting for the people to come back. In different areas there are people explaining how live was in Bodie. There is also a great deal of artifacts in the visitor center.

When we arrived at 9:30 there were 10 cars in the parking lot. I was amazed that when we left at 11:30 there were over 100 cars in the lot and along the road.

We headed back to US-395 and headed south. We stopped at the Mono Lake overlook. I did not realize how large Mono Lake was. Our next stop was the visitor center. We took some pictures and was surprised how windy it was there.

It was lunch time, so we stopped at Bodie Mikes. It was a nice place for lunch right on US-395 in Lee Vining. I was impressed with the waitresses helping translate the menus for the foreign travelers. On the way out we stopped at the Mono Lake Committee store and picked up a T shirt.

Our next stop was the South Tufa Towers. This is just a few miles off of US-395 on East CA-120. This gave us the chance to walk down to the lake and see the tufas up close. Mono Lake is a place you have to experience for your self to understand it. I was surprised to see seagulls there.

Now we went back to US-395 and backtracked a mile for the June Lake Loop. More beautiful country with mountain lakes. We stopped at the Aerie Crag area to walk around. You had it all there. An open meadow, a winding creek and the mountains. I could of stayed there much longer, but we had to get going.

At the end of the loop we met back up with US-395 and headed south to Mammoth Lakes. For our visit to Mammoth Lakes we stayed at the Mammoth Creek Inn. It is a very nice small hotel and one that we would come back to.

For dinner we went to Roberto's. It was a wonderful Mexican restaurant that was crowded when we arrived at 5:00.

Thank you for reading this part of our trip report. As I have time I will be writing the rest of the parts in:

Part 3 Yosemite

Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

Part 5 Lake Tahoe

You can view our vacation pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

1. Re: Trip report Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2013, 10:16