We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

Part 1 Lake Tahoe

Part 2 Mammoth Lakes

Part 3 Yosemite

Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

July 17 We drove back it Mammoth Lakes. For dinner we went to Hot Chicks Rotisserie. This is just a small place in a strip mall that serves rotisserie chicken and pulled pork. I was fond of the sweet potato fries. We are on vacation and eat what we want, for now at least. It had been a long day, so we went back to our room at the Mammoth Creek Inn for the evening.

July 18 We were up early, packed up, had breakfast and checked out. This morning we had a short drive to the Mammoth Adventure Center for the bus to Devil's Postpile.

We bought our tickets and had to wait for the bus. While we waiting outside they were bring out the mountain bike rentals. I was surprised to see one of the riders bouncing up and down on his bike without the wheels leaving the ground. So, went over to ask about how it worked. The young man was explaining what things were. Then he told me that it had hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. I told him that when I was growing up my bike had a coaster brake. He looked at me kind of odd and said, like a little kids bike? Yeah, things have changed a lot.

The bus came and it was time to go. We had a full load from casual visitors to hard core hikers. The road down was 2 lane in some parts and 1 in others. I would not have wanted to drive it.

When we arrived at the ranger station the ranger met the bus with the park newspaper and maps. She was ready to answer questions.

We made a pit stop and headed over to the post pile. It was a short trail and we were there. The volcanic formations are unique. From there we headed north to Minaret Falls. It was about a 45 minute walk up to the falls. Along the way we came across a deer standing there watching us. We also saw a great deal of damage caused by the wind storm last November. The park service has put in a great deal of work clearing the roads and trails since the storm. When we arrived at Minaret Falls we had to go through the thriving under growth to see the falls. We then headed back to the ranger station.

At the ranger station we took the bus to Reds Meadow. We ate lunch there in the restaurant/dinner.

From Reds we went to Rainbow Falls. You pass through an area that was burnt during a fire several years ago. It is now mainly open area with small pine trees all around. Then you arrive at the falls. There is a viewing area just down stream falls.

But, our time is short and we must leave. We walk back to the trail head and catch the bus out. We get off at the Mammoth Adventure Center, go to our car and head out. We drive down to US-395 and head north.

Thank You for reading this part of our trip report. As I find time I will be writing the last piece:

Part 5 Lake Tahoe

You can view our travel pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

Level Contributor
34,226 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

Fun report to read! :)

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

I am enjoying reading your reports. My son and his cousin are leaving in a few days to stay with their uncle in Mammoth Lakes for a week. They'll be doing a lot of same things you did. I wish I were going. It sounds like Yosemite was a lot more crowded than it was last time we visited. It was in early June so that must have made the difference.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

syragirl,

I am glad you enjoyed the report. We had a great time!

Helene,

I am gld you enjoyed the report. We have found so much to do in the Mammoth area. Your son and his cousin will be busy seeing and doing the whole time they are there.

Yes, Yosemite was crowded. I thought that going on a Tuesday to the high country it would not be bad. I guess everyone elso thought that too.

4. Re: Trip Report Part 4 Mammoth Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:15