We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay with young kids

Sydney
11 posts
Save Topic
What area to stay with young kids

Hello

We will be spending 4 nights at Mammoth next March. We have 2 kids aged 6 and 8 who we want to put into ski school for a couple of days. We are novice skiers (at best) so will only be using the easier runs. We will probably be flying from LAX so won't have a car. What would be the best area in Mammoth for us to stay in that won't require dragging the kids too far to ski school, but still close enough to the village for dinner each night?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay with young kids

Did you have a budget in mind? Personally I'd choose The Village Lodge or Juniper Springs, but they can be pricy.

mammothmountain.com/Mountain/…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay with young kids

Just stay at the Village and take the Gonola to the mountain each day (it's free), or else over by Eagle. There are plenty of condo complexes across the street from Canyon Lodge, like 1849 and Chamonix, that you could look into, as well, if the Mammoth properties are too expensive. Look into the Westin, as well.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay with young kids

Where will they take ski school and do you want to be close to that?

We have stayed at Juniper Springs and it was great. Also stayed at Sierra Summit right across the street and it was perfect.

Have stayed at a condo within easy walking distance to the Canyon lift.

We had to drive our ski school child to the top so being near the lifts didn't help us with that.

Kids always complain that the village gondola and the canyon lift are super crowded.

Sydney
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay with young kids

I have no idea what ski school to put the kids into - I assume that there is more than 1. I was just looking at the Mammoth website at the ski-schools so I thought that they would just go there. Does anybody have a particular ski-school recommendation?

As far as budget goes, I don't really want to pay more than $350 per night. I have looked at the Westin and though it looks amazing, at $450 per night it is just too pricey. Juniper Springs looks good, and I will take a look into Sierra Summit.

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay with young kids

I'm sorry I was not clear on the ski school. I don't think there is a choice about who you go thru for ski school but I was just wondering where the ski school for your age children are held When our daughter was little we drove her all the way to the top even though we were staying at the Summit across from Eagle Express. I don't know if you have a choice about location just something to think about.

The condos are actually just Summit.

http://www.summitcondominiums.com/

Edited: 24 October 2012, 01:45
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay with young kids

The only ski schools at resorts are the mountains offical ski school.

mammothmountain.com/Mountain/…

7. Re: What area to stay with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes