We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

We'd like to visit the are for the first time but confused by the price quote for rooms. Two nights at $152 (aaa rate) plus tax and the quote is ~400 bucks with tax. Is the tax really 25% in ML?

Also interested in cell service - do t-mobile and verizon work OK in the villages?

Thnks

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Web site says "Tax Information: Tax excluded 13% Occupancy Tax 1% Tourism Tax Resort Fee." "Resort fee," is an add-on in many resort areas (I ran into it in Palm Desert), which may or may not include Wi-Fi and parking. Best to phone them or send an e-mail and ask exactly what how much it is and what it covers. The tax obviously fluctuates based on your base rate, but the resort fee may well be standard all year.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

I emailed them and you are exactly right - it's a hidden "resort fee". There is no mention of resort fee on their site, but they obscure it as a tax. Pretty shady. Wonder what other unpleasant surprises this hotel has in store for me.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

It is quite strange because usually if hotels have a resort fee they tell you :

a-the amount of the fee

b-what services it covers

I did a dummy booking on the site and their "resort fee" was lumped in with taxes with no explanation at all! I'd not like to do business with a place like that if other places were available.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,027 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Every single hotel in Mammoth charges a resort fee/tax, it's a Mammoth approved-tax. all the Condos, as well. It's a highly controversial tax that began in 2013, something the City Council voted in, called a TBID. You can read about how much the locals as well as the tourists despise it, here:

forums.mammothmountain.com/viewtopic.php…

Yes, those phone company cell service work fine there. Also, look into the Alpenhof, a hotel I prefer over Sierra Nevada (for the location and service).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Thanks for explaining! It is not a hotel charged resort fee but a city approved tax.

Got it!

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

the email back from Sierra Nevada says the following " Here in mammoth we have 2 taxes. TOT (13% of room rate), and TBID (1% of room rate). I believe you are seeing the resort fee of $20 showing up under the generated tax." I know that a lot of hotels charge a resort fee, but almost everyone *EXCEPT* SNR discloses it somewhere in their terms.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,569 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Here is a long thread from the San Francisco forum with a discussion about an undisclosed "urban fee" for a hotel tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7317964 Extra fees, disclosed or undisclosed, are becoming more common. Sigh.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,027 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Pote, if you don't like it, don't stay there. By the way, there is little in the way of a Resort Feeling at Sierra Nevada Resort. If you want more of a resort, book the Westin or one of the MMSA Village Properties

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

Good call Elle, I wont be staying at SNR, or even in Mammoth. I found a place that appreciates my business with less taxes and no hidden fees. I hope other travelers find this information useful in deciding where to visit.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,027 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused by Sierra Nevada Resort pricing

You'll find less and less places to visit if you don't like resort fees, it's just the way things are heading. It's a shame, because Mammoth is lovely, so you're cutting off your nose to spite your face over a few dollars - rather than have a wonderful memory in a beautiful place, shared with loved ones.

Get answers to your questions about Mammoth Lakes