We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independence Brew Pub??

southern Germany
Level Contributor
985 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Independence Brew Pub??

How is beer and food there??

Thanks for your informations.

Greetings, Q.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

I like it alot. Very comfortable and somewhat stylish brewpub, right near the convention center/chinatown.

The beer is excellent. I particularly like the oatmeal stout and cask-conditioned. Their food is I would say upscale pub-food, and very good. Great apps and sandwiches. I have never tried their salads, pizzas, or entrees, but they all looked great. Nothing extremely fancy, but everything was great and delicious.

If you are looking for a place to relax, get a pint and a decent meal and not spend a ton of money, I would definitely recommend Independence. See the link below for their website.

http://www.independencebrewpub.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

They have decent beers there - their IPA (India Pale Ale) is quite respectable and their Red Ale is also a nice brew. They used to have a good happy hour from something like 5-7 pm and every pint of beer was $3 - not sure if they are still doing this.

I think their food is mediocre. If you do go, I'd eat something more along the lines of a sandwich or burger as opposed to their entrees. It's relatively inexpensive, but I just think there are so many other places in Philadelphia that rate of a higher caliber, food-wise.

I also recall poor service the couple of times I was there - it takes awhile to get their attention and once they bring your order, they are hard to find if you want anything else.

My assessment: I think you'd do better to go to Monk's or Nodding Head or even Standard Tap in Northern Liberties (a short cab ride away, but my favorite of the bunch) if you want this kind of food and beer selection. I'm actually tempted to call this place a bit of a tourist trap, due to its location and so-so food - just my opinion, though - hope it helps!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

Aaaah, Chuckdiv and I are not on the same page for once?!!!!!

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

beer and food are decent, but it's honestly a little boring. food is standard but it lacks any character and comfortable feel. it feels like it is for tourists or conventioners.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

Suzanne, we can't always agree you know ;)

I would probably agree with most of your coments. I had 2 good experiences there, and that is what I was going on (and I've only been there twice). We got seated right away and had a good waitress. All we got was sandwiches, so I can't go on anything else. i guess they were not the best, but that was the type of food that we were looking for at the time (nothing fancy, just sandwiches and a couple pints), so we were happy with it.

I would defeinitely agree that there are much better places in the city (monk's and the tap would be 2 great ones), but I was more just answering quilt's questions. Everyone has different experiences, so it's tough to go on any one person's opinion.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

Chuckdiv, just kidding!...like you said, everyone has had different experiences and things can go great for one person and terrible for another.

Although, I do think the Tap is the best place in the city for that kind of food/prices, etc...again, just my humble opinion...although we were at Nodding Head a few weeks ago and I had a delish sandwich called a muffaletta and a couple of good beers to wash that baby down!

Suzanne

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

So, what are the names of some good brew pubs there? We'll be visiting for the weekend of March 8th, and always like to try local beers when we travel. The food menu isn't all that important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

Oh, McCarthys5...if you liked the Muffaletta, you'll have to get one of the originals from Central Market in New Orleans. Thankfully, they were spared from Katrina, and are still in operation. They created that fabulous sandwich nearly 100 years ago, and they are simply to die for. My husband hates them, but I have to get several every time I go!! Just in case you ever make it out that way!!!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

Back when the "Jam on the River" was still the "Jambalaya Jam", a New Orleans celebration, the featured foods were also from New Orleans. I really looked forward to the muffelata each year. I was so sorry to see that festival change.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Independence Brew Pub??

I could not agree more with the poster who suggested the Central Grocery in NO for the muffaletta sandwich I have spent a great deal of time in New Orleans, and the Central Grocery was a regular stop for a Muffaletta. You simply cannot get that sandwich here in the Philadelphia area, at least I have never found one! And the olive salad: YUM.

I know Suzanne has said she likes to cook. I suggest you check out one of my favorite sites: nola.com. Go to the recipe forum. There are great cooks on there regularly posting about homemade NO specialities. I check it out every few days for recipes. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

NO is a great city for foodies. I look forward to my next visit back there.