We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

We have been anixously waiting for our visit to see the Tut exhibit, and are coming April 12th for 4 nights. Our group includes the 6 year old tut fanatic, his 7 year old brother, 80 year old grandmother, and 2 parents. We will most likely spend a majority of time at the FI, the natural history museum nearby and the museum at the U of P.

I will also take them to the historical sites, and perhaps take the ferry to the Aquarium. If the time and weather permit, I would like to have my husband see Winterthur.

I have reservations for $150/night at the Hampton Inn, which has some of the items I was looking for, good rate, breakfast and a pool.

Is this walkable to the FI? the front desk of hotel said yes, but she may have been trying to get me off the phone. Is this an OK neighborhood to be in? Or will we wish we spent more money to be in a nicer area?

Thank-you for your input and suggestions.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

As I recall, the Hampton Inn is at 13th and Race Streets. That would make it about 3/4 mile from the Franklin instittute. The area is okay, but not scenic. It is a central location - about halfway between the museums and Old City and Society Hill (where most of the colonial and early American historical sites are), plus it is two blocks from the Reading Terminal Market, a favorite stop for most visitors and locals. It is also near Philadelphia City Hall, which has a clock tower open to the public for great views.

If you were more interested in early American history than ancient history and science I would say stay in Old City or Society Hill.

Lynn

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

We just got back from the King Tut exhibit. It is a fabulous exhibit you will enjoy it!!! We also went to the UPenn Armana exhibit which is also excellent. The UPenn museum also has a fabulous permanent Egyptian exhibit on mummies, etc. as well as the special Armana exhibit. We went to UPenn on a Friday and it was not crowded at all.

A few things:

1) Make sure you have your King Tut tickets before arriving in Philly or get them in advance as a package deal with your hotel as it is very hard to get tickets if you just arrive at the museum.

2) If you haven't gotten tickets I would try for the very first tickets in the day so it is not so hot or crowded when you get there. My only complaint was that the galleries were very hot and crowded. Unfortunately the only day I could go was on a Saturday so this is probably the worst day to go for crowds.

3) There is a special King Tut trolley for $2 per person you can take to the UPenn exhibit and the King Tut exhibit. It stops various places around the city and at the Liberty Bell National Park Visitor center. Also you can reach the UPenn exhibit by taking the SEPTA Green Line trolley #13 Westbound, Spruce and 37th Street station. It is 2 or 3 blocks from there. SEPTA tokens are $1.30 each get in packets of 2, 5 or 10 or you can get an all day pass for $5.50. See the SEPTA web site. You can get to the Franklin Institute by taking the SEPTA green trolley and walking 4 blocks. You can use the 'Plan My Trip' feature on SEPTA to enter a street address and see what trains to take.

4) The King Tut gift shop has all sorts of neat things but they are pricey. If you want the offical companion book you can get it at Amazon for much less.

5) You can take the SEPTA Blue line (Market-Frankford line) to 5th St station to get to the National Park Visitor Center and walk to the historical sites (Liberty Bell etc.). For Penn Landing near the water use 2nd St station. There are two ships to tour at Penn Landing that are interesting. Print the maps at the SEPTA website.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

The hotel's in a neighborhood at the edge of Chinatown and toward the edge of Center City. It's safe enough, just not as pretty as some other areas. The proximity of Chinatown and the Reading Terminal makes it a nice area for finding something to eat. And there's a nice energy to staying in an area that starts humming with life early each morning vs. one that's a little more geared toward tourist visits and doesn't get going until 9ish.

You may want to see if you can get a room on the southern side of the building, as it overlooks the Vine St. Expressway to the north, and I imagine has some road noise on that side of the building. To get to the Parkway museums, including the Franklin Institute, you'll go west and south; to get to the historic area or restaurants, etc., you'll go east and south.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

Thanks for all the ideas, I have us now locked into the Hyat at Penns landing as I went to Hotwire ($98/night compared to Hampton at $160)

a

Any thoughts on restaurants near the Hyatt? We are a group of 5 raninging from ages 6 to 80, so something traditional for the whole group, if we can get Nana to babysit onenight maybe we can try something more daring, thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

WPCCAM -

Help me out. What do you mean by traditional? Philly has an amazing array of restaurants of numerous cuisines (often combined) and at different price ranges.

Lynn

6. Re: Long awaited trip to King Tut in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 08:17