We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Coming to Philly from Colorado- looking for some restaurant recommendations for some awesome Seafood and Italian since both are impossible to find in the state of CO!

Going with girlfriends so not really interested in anything romantic or super fancy- just want some phenomenal food- any suggestions?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

I'm sure this post will spark some debate, but here are my humble recommendations for good food, not fancy, as per your request:

Seafood - Philadelphia Fish & Company - right in Old City - you and your girlfriends could even go out for a few drinks later if that interests you

Italian - take the cab ride to South Philly and go to Mezza Luna - everything is delicious, it is family-run. I've eaten there quite a few times and have never had anything remotely less than superior. it is delicious and moderately priced (entrees mid-teens-low 20's - with the exception of the specials.)

Hope this helps, I've eaten my way around Philly quite a bit!

Suzanne

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60795-i113-k10008…

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

I second the Philadelphia Fish & Co. recommendation. Also fun and with great food (but no reservations) is Dmitri's at 3rd and Catherine. Come to think of it, that's not too far from TLA.

Suzanne - One of these days I have to eat at Mezza Luna.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

I thought the seafood topic had come up in recent times!

Yes, Mezza Luna is a fantastic, family-run, South Philly establishment.

WV
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Try Victor Cafe for a truly fun evening with good food. Imagine young, energetic waiters/waitress who wait on you and sing operatic arias. Never mind if you think you don't like opera; you will have fun. The food is classic, Phila. Italian. Take a cab. This is a Phila. institution.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

I like the Victor Cafe, I really do - and for the whole experience with the waiters/waitresses singing arias, it is great. But I've always found the food a tad bit mediocre. Nothing terribly bad, but nothing amazing, either. But you would definitely have fun there with a group of girlfriends, that's for sure.

Suzanne

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Striped Bass is highly recommended (one of the top three restaurants in Philadelphia after Le Bec Fin and tied with LaCroix according to Mobil Travel Guide ratings) - however - also highly expensive and would probably fall into the "super fancy" category. We considered it for an upcoming trip - but it's too expensive for us.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Roberto Cafe is a relatively new Italian BYO at 22nd and South that is nice. Demitri's at 22nd and Lombard (?) is pretty famous for it's seafood.

A really off-the-beat spot is the restaurant attached to Franco + Luigi's pizzeria at 13th and Tasker. This is South Philly all the way. I don't think it's gotten any formal reviews, but it is a great, great spot to combine seafood and Italian. The bread they bring out for appetizers is a sampling of garlic bread and garlic knots from the pizza place, which is a little odd in a nice restaurant. They have the occasional opera singer, and a nice older woman was playing the piano the last time I was there. Some of the pasta dishes are served with a thick crabmeat infused tomato sauce that is out of this world....I haven't really had much like it at any other restaurant.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

...if you happen to be in the neighborhood of 6th and South, try a dessert crepe from this place: www.creperie-beaumonde.com. Awesome!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Italian Restaurant? Best Seafood?

Another seafood recommendation - Little Fish at 6th and Catherine.

There are many restaurants that prepare lovely seafood dishes along with other types of food. There just aren't that many "seafood" restaurants. (Tough for me, having grown up near the ocean.) Some other suggestions:

Fork - New American on the 300 block of market

Shiao Lan Kung - possibly the best restaurant in Chinatown, features salt-baked shrimp and other fabulous dishes

Nineteen - in the Park Hyatt at the Bellevue on Broad Street. This is a newcomer with an emphasis on interesting seafood dishes. I'll be there this weekend and follow up with a review. See www.parkhyatt.com for the menu.

Also, the "Demitri's" referred to in another post is "Dmitri's" at his other location. Both are great. The Quenn Village location (3rd and Catherine) is no reservation, no credit cards, BYO. The other takes credit. Not sure about reservations.

Lynn