We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

We are coming to Philadelphia in June to see attend some baseball games - were looking at the Holiday Inn on Packer and wondering if 1) we would want to stay there and 2) it is safe to walk back after a game.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

There is nothing to do in that part of Philly. You are much better off staying in Center City (where most historic sites, museums, nightlife, restaurants, etc. are) and taking the Broad Street subway to the game. It's very easy to do and many people will be going.

Lynn

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

Yes it is true that there is not much to do in that part of the city. However, you are staying in the right place to see the game!!. You can always take a cab from that area to where you may want to go. You can walk to the game if you would like. Not a short walk but "do-able"

Maine
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

we aren't into Night Life [other than ball games]! as long as it's relatively 'safe' to stay there, we don't need to be in the city.

thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

The Holiday Inn is right next to the ballpark. It's so close that people (including me on occasion) pay to park in their lot and then walk to the game. The streets are quite crowded before and after games and I never worried about safety there for me or my children.

But I agree with Lynn. There's not much else in that area except the hotel and sports arenas so it's worth considering a hotel in town.

P.S. The subway is just what you'd expect from an aging urban underground train, but it gets you where you need to go and it's heavily used by Phillies fans so safety isn't an issue.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

Sox4me -

You will still be in the City, just not in the heart of it.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

Let me clarify. The ballpark is in the city, but not in an area with any other attractions. Center City (the original City of Philadelphia as laid out by William Penn) is where most people stay and it is relatively safe.

Lynn

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

From the perspective of an out-of-towner who visited Philly to see a baseball game, I personally think that you would be much happier staying in Center City or the Penn's Landing/Historic District/Society Hill area. The area around the sports venues doesn't feel unsafe, but there isn't much of anything else around there--just that hotel and the sports venues. When you are not at the game you will probably either be in your hotel or driving over to the above-mentioned areas. You don't say if you are bringing kids, but we have two kids and, quite frankly, they would have been bored to death staying out there. If you stay in CC or PL, you can walk to several attractions. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing through Priceline and had the most incredible view of the Delaware River, Ben Franklin Bridge, etc. and walked a few short blocks over to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc. The ballpark is a short drive down I-95 from the PL/Society Hill/Historic District area or, if you stay in CC you can take the subway. We are also going back in June for a Tigers game and this time around we got the Westin in CC and are planning on trying the Broad St. subway to and from the game. I can't wait!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

I've stayed there a couple of times when there wasn't a game. It felt safe, but desolate and empty. If you want to experience the city, staying in Center City would be much better.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

I've never stayed there, but driving by it, it doesn't seem like a place I'd want to stay. From what I picture when I think of it, there's no reason to even go outside...literally nothing there. I doubt there's even sidewalks.

I'd add that it's part of the experience going to Philly sporting evens on the Broad Street line (Although if you are here for the 'Sox series, you might want to leave the gear covered up on the train....not for safety reasons or anything, but it's not worth the taunts unless you are ready to handle them....some people are, some people aren't. No one will say anything if you are with kids though...we need a courthouse in our stadiums but we aren't monsters).

10. Re: Holiday Inn & Citizens Bank ballpark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 11:21