We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BYOB Question

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
85 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
BYOB Question

I am traveling to Philly with my boyfriend the first week of April, and while looking at restaurants to try, I saw that a few of them were BYOB. While I am not unfamiliar with that concept, I have heard that it is difficult to purchase alcohol in PA. (Here in Ohio, you can get it just about everywhere - even gas stations and drive-thrus.) Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BYOB Question

It is a very peculiar situation indeed. Wine and liquor are only available at state-run stores. They are plentiful in Center City, however, so it will not be difficult to find one. You can use the store locator at this web site:

www.pawineandspirits.com

Beer can only be purchased at bars, beer distributors and delis, so you cannot get it at groceries as in the rest of the civilized world. I will refrain from further editorialization.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BYOB Question

There are liquor stores all around the city- if you're staying at a hotel in the City center- just ask at the desk, and there's probably one within a short walk.

Just be aware that not all are open on Sundays, and not all are open late. Since i live just outside of Philly, I have grown used to this inconvenience- and I keep bottles of wine on hand always (since we can't really just pop out to the supermarket to pick some up).

You'll save a few bucks doing a BYOB, but really- it may not be worth the hassle.

Also- if you are beer drinkers- you cannot buy a 6pack from a distributor (only full cases or kegs)- you'll have to find a bar with takeout service.

I long for the day I can buy beer, wine and food at one place instead of 3!

mass
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BYOB Question

hi experts,

i have another BYOB question.... is there usually a corkage fee too? i would be interested in center city suggestions for a great BYOB without the fee (for a saturday night)....

thanks,

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BYOB Question

We often dine at BYOBs and don't get charged a fee ~ however, that is not to say there aren't some out there. Do you have any places in mind that you would like to go to?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BYOB Question

none of the byo's I've been to have fees. the only time I've heard of fees were for places that sell wine, but the diners are serious wine collectors who want to drink their own stuff.

What type of food / scene are you looking for?

mass
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BYOB Question

thanks so far .... staying at the park hyatt bellevue, and looking for something walking/stumbling distance (if i finish the wine!) .... i prefer big red wines, so probably either something italian , or even a good steak, or anything else interesting/different .....

philadelphia
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BYOB Question

There are some good suggestions of BYOB's in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60795-i113-k10049…

We went to django and it was excellent!! However, it's not really a walkable restaurant for you (unless you like to walk). Check out some of the other recommendations though. Also check out this site, it's got a bunch of byo's on an interactive map:

http://www.gophila.com/byobmap/

mass
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BYOB Question

great map that is! i should mention i'll be dining solo, so i don't need intimate and romantic, and would prefer something with a bar area i could eat at too (to be less conspicuous as a solo diner) ... any thoughts on lolita? maybe a good spanish rioja with the mexican food would be okay ....

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BYOB Question

Personally, we have never had anything but very positive experinces at Lolita ~ We really enjoy the whole concept too!

I will have to say that it does get crowded & it is a very small restaurant, so it is only one small room w/ no bar.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BYOB Question

There are two stores that are open on Sunday, 1218 Chestnut, and 1913 Chestnut. Although 1218 is a bit closer, if the weather is nice I would opt for 1913, as the walk to that store is more pleasant, as you pass by high-end shops and restaurants. I think 1913 has a better selection, too. Walk up Walnut Street to 19th, turn right, walk up one full block (two traffic lights) to Chestnut, cross the street, and turn left. Hours are12-5.