We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

I am back from my trip to Philadelphia.

I had booked an accommodation in Germantown, and was surprised and concerned by many negative posts and warnings about Germantown.

I am very glad that I stayed in Germantown, after all. It’s a lovely historic town. Yes, I agree that some areas should be avoided, e.g. Germantown ave near Chelten ave.

I walked throughout the neighborhood, and found it charming and safe. I lived on Wayne ave, and took the train at Tulpehocken station.

It was unusually warm during my stay (the first decade of October), every morning I walked past old fashioned villas, lavish green plants, vast lawns. When I returned in the evening, I heard night birds chirping and crickets singing :)

I was favorably impressed by regional trains. There are still conductors who punch tickets with their clicking tools! It was like going back in time! And of course, I enjoyed the QuietRide policy on the train!

Thanks to the warm weather I was able to walk a lot and explore Philadelphia on foot. I visited Independence Hall, Academy of Fine Arts, Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, the cemetery where Benjamin Franklin is buried and many other places of interest.

8 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Torolga,

Thank you so much for posting your experience staying in Germantown. I'm glad it was a good fit.

Lynn

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Very nice report. Thank you.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Great report, thanks. Germantown is a section of Philadelphia, not its own town.

Only the first car is a quiet ride car. I feel they should have all cars be quiet except for one noisy car :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

What was your daily commute time and cost?

Edited: 15 October 2017, 07:59
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

It's about a 30 minute ride to Jefferson Station. Cost can vary depending on time of day, and ticketing options.Weekdays, if going in after morning rush hour, the Independence Pass is the best option- $12/day good all day on any SEPTA vehicle and the Phlash. Otherwise, round trip train tickets would cost anywhere from $8.50 (weekends/evenings) to $12.00.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Yes, it's a 25-30 minute ride. October, though, is the season of "Slippery rail", and SEPTA has posted the warning about delays.

Tulpehocken is zone 2. I bought 6 tickets for 3 days upfront, and paid $31.50, or $5.25 a ticket. There is no difference between a weekday and a weekend ticket.

The house where I stayed was located on Wayne street between Tulpehocken and Chelten station, which is zone 1. I could have used Chelten station, but I liked Tulpenhocken, it was so cute :)

An independence pass cost me $ 13

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
859 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a report. It's lovely to hear people's experiences first hand. I'm glad you got to go to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, it's one of my absolute favorite buildings in Philadelphia.

Wishing you safe travels always

Edited: 15 October 2017, 17:47
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown

Frequent, daily commuters will disagree with you regarding those ticket clickers! Haha. NJ Transit uses them as well!

Glad you enjoyed your trip and had a great time in the city!

Reply to: Review : Philadelphia and Germantown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Philadelphia