We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

raleigh
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

Coming to Philly the first week of April with my extended family of 6 (pre-teen to grandparents). We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Penns Landing. I'm looking for restaurant suggestions close by, preferably within walking distance since we will not have a car.

We have a wide palate in our group. In general do not like Mexican or Chinese (go figure!). Seafood is a big hit for most of us. Italian is always popular. We're not too fancy, but also not the McDonalds type.

All suggestions appreciated.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

Three places right by the Hyatt that you should have no trouble walking to~

Chart House http://www.chart-house.com

Moshulu http://www.moshulu.com

Dave & Busters http://www.daveandbusters.com/

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

There a great Italian place called La Veranda about two blocks north on Columbus Blvd. There's also a fun seafood place with an Italian flair nearby called Positano Coast on Walnut St.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

There's a nice family-owned Italian restaurant on South St. not far from your hotel called Core de Roma. You can find their menu at www.corederoma.us. Good food and warm atmosphere.

The best seafood restaurant nearby is Philadelphia Fish & Co on Chestnut St in Old City. Seafood tends to be pretty expensive in Philly. You won't find the reasonably priced Calabash-style restaurants that you have in North Carolina.

Tom

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

Highly recommend the Moshulu, especially if it is a nice day/night. You'd think it's touristy, being the big boat on the river, but the food is actually quite good and the atmosphere different. I haven't been to La Veranda in years (like close to 10), but it was very good back in the day - I remember it being fairly pricey back then, but cannot comment on how it is now. Maybe another poster has had a more recent experience. Dave and Busters is essentially a big chain arcade with mediocre food at best - honestly, I'd steer clear, about 1000 better options in Philadelphia. I like Bistro Romano over on Lombard Street in Society Hill (about a 5-7 minute walk), very good Italian food, nice atmosphere -- although, the wide spiral staircase to the dining room downstairs could be difficult to manuever if you have grandparents with any kind of mobility issues. My parents have done fine there, though - and they are 75 and 76, respectively, and in reasonably good health. I had a friend that just ate at Positano Coast a couple of weeks ago and hated it. Said it was expensive for miniscule portions and the food was boring and bland (that's a direct quote!) Philadelphia Fish & Company is very good as well, probably one of my favorite places for seafood in the city. Another good place is Fork at 2nd and Market - that would probably appeal to all palates as well. I'd say look at a couple of websites for menus/pricings and then go from there. Hope this helps and let us know if you have further questions.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

I forgot to comment on the Chart House, but I think that restaurant has seen better days, it was quite popular back in the 80's and I remember it being quite good back then - now, strangely, I never hear anything about it. Maybe another poster has a more recent experience.

Suzanne

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

We have been to both places w/i the last year ~ certainly the Chart House would fit the bill because it is mostly seafood & only a couple of blocks away from the Hyatt. The views are amazing ~

Dave & Busters is a chain ~however, kids do love it there.

Have a wonderful time!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

I second the Core di Roma, Fork, and Philadelphia Fish recs. A few other suggestions in the vicinity of 2nd and Chestnut:

The Plough and The Stars - Modern Irish pub/restaurant with excellent food. Live Irish Folk music Sunday evenings.

Karma - Indian

Ariana - Afghan

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

Another option a bit farther (500 block of South Street) is South Street Souvlaki. Very good Greek food and they have some hard to find dishes like meat dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with ground meat and served in a chicken/egg/lemon sauce) as well as the usual souvlaki and gyros.

Lynn

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

I'm not much of a foodie but I can at least second the recommendation for Bistro Romano. Thanks to Suzanne's suggestion, my lady and I enjoyed a meal there while visiting over Presidents' Day weekend. If your family can always agree on Italian, they'll probably enjoy this place as well. I can also attest to the short walk from the hotel (although for the actual dinner, we drove).

Tony

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants Near Hyatt Penns Landing

Has anyone been to Pietro's on the 100 block of South or heard anything?

Lynn