We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic area Hotel Selection

TX
Level Contributor
156 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Historic area Hotel Selection

In town, what is the walk like from the Comfort Inn on Columbus to the Sheraton Society Hill....from reviews it looks like the Comfort would be a better expenditure of my funds (not to mention I could rack up points) but my meeting is at the Sheraton.

Looks to be less than a mile so no problem there but can't tell if its walkable, fairly major road, and would involve crossing an interstate? don't know if there are sidewalks or not.....

Thanks

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

Columbus Blvd is a very busy road ~ However, there are several crosswalks to get you up & over to Front Street ~ The Sheraton is not too far from there. You can always take a cab ~ which should be no more than $5- $7.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,382 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

If the weather is nice, it is easily walkable. The Comfort Inn is on the east side of Delaware Avenue (now unfortunately renamed to Columbus Blvd) so you won't need to cross that road, and I-95 goes underground, so you are either walking on a street, and elevated walkway, or through a park to cross it.

The Sheraton is in a residential neighborhood, while the Comfort Inn is in a trafficky, noisy, inconvenient (though not far) location for walking. I am thinking there are no sidewalks on that side of the street, and the hotel may be in a bit of an "island" of land bordered by I-95 . Can't picture it for sure.... Maybe someone else can say for certain.

I would go for the Sheraton...

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

Yes ~ there are crosswalks, so you are not walking in the street ~

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

Go with the Sheraton. It's much more convenient to everything.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

Greg,

The Sheraton regularly offers rooms at discounted rates through hotwire.com. Go to that site and use 19106 as the desired zip code. When the results come up look for a 3.5 star hotel in the Historic Area/Penns Landing. If you tell us the ammenities listed then Suzanne, our super expert on hotels, can tell you if it's the Sheraton or another 3.5* hotel close by. Either way you can't lose. If you see a 4* hotel in that area it's the Hyatt Penn's Landing.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

The Comfort Inn is kind of dumpy, imo. I would go for the Sheraton if you can get a good rate. It's much nicer. The Comfort Inn, while not far, is not located as convenient to restaurants and other attractions. Also, some years ago, my boss had his car broken into when he stayed there. It's a bit isolated from the city by it's location on Delaware Ave.

7. Re: Historic area Hotel Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 02:18