We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

muncy, PA
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
"Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

My adult kids and I are bringing my wife/their mother to Philly for the weekend of 12/16-12/17 for her 53rd birthday. We love this time of year and my wife loves anything Christmas. I am looking for a nice, not outrageously expensive restaurant with a Christmasy feel to it; you know, highly decorated, big Christmas tree, nice view, etc. Prefer near to Love Park/City Hall but that is not a must; can always Uber to whereever. Suggestions please and thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
860 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

Ok, seriously I'm stumped. I eat out - a lot. And I'm having trouble coming up with a good answer.

Really memorable, might be Victor's Cafe after a tour of Miracle on 13th St, a row house light display that is very cool.

I'm going to think about this some more..,,

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

Pookala, would City Tavern make the list? I have not been there at Christmas and don't know if it is decorated, but was thinking that it does have a very "traditional" decor.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
860 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

yeah, Tyler they might. But I'm guessing it would be a more subdued Colonial Christmas style.

It's a difficult set of parameters because there's not a lot of restaurants with "big" interiors that can pull off the large holiday display thing & have views and be in the CIty Hall area, with moderate prices and good food.

The only one I could think of was XIX in the The Bellevue but the food there is average and it's not great value for the $. So while I wouldn't recommend it for dinner, it may be a nice place to go for cocktails.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 14:31
Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

Pookala, you are right. I just called City Tavern and they confirmed your guess. Also asked them if they knew of any restaurants that actually did more elaborate decorations, but struck out there too.

There must be some places! Hotel restaurants, perhaps? Of course, getting decor, food quality and price in synch will be an issue. Location seems a bit less of one, according to OP's post. My feeble attempt is over. It has been too long since I lived in the Philadelphia area, so I leave it to you, Philly Destination Experts and others to sort out this interesting challenge!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
860 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

Aww Tyler - how sweet you are for calling!

My other thought was a place like Le Cheri on Rittenhouse Square. The square will be done up for the holidays. The restaurant is in a cool old historic building. And even more importantly, the food there is very good and the prices are reasonable.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

I'm thinking https://www.aqimero.com in the lobby of the Ritz Carlton which, I am sure will have a Christmas tree.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

I was looking around for a decorated venue for a different question and the honest answer is most venues don't seem to expend a lot of effort in decorating. They may have Xmas menus and some minor decorations but most won't have anything significant - as noted, many do not have a space for a large tree, etc.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
704 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

Well, in the 1950's/'60's it would have been the restaurant at Wanamakers, w the huge beautiful Christmas tree -- I remember having lunch there w my grandmother when I was a child. But I assume that's no longer there.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

^The beautiful Crystal Room is available for private parties, but is no longer a restaurant open to the public. It was a Philadelphia classic.

10. Re: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 November 2017, 21:33

Reply to: "Christmasy" restaurant near Christkindl market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted