We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Transfer Tim

Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
36 reviews
Flight Transfer Tim

We are looking at an American Airlines flight arriving into Philadelphia from Paris. We will have to go through customs, claim luggage and recheck it (I think), and catch a flight to Detroit. The time allowed on the schedule is 2:30. AA is offering this flight. Is this doable? We will be flying business class. This will be on a Wednesday in April.

4 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Flight Transfer Tim

That is the minimum time we suggest. So if all goes well, you can make it. If all does not go well...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Flight Transfer Tim

Based on my experiences (and my family has Precheck and Gloabl Entry) I agree with the above. However, any delay in luggage (we have waited up to 40 minutes already) or you end up at the tail end of the C&I line, you are running a risk of not making that connection. PHL is a large airport and the distances between gates can be far.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,819 posts
151 reviews
3. Re: Flight Transfer Tim

Personally I don't accept less than 3:00 on an inbound international connection without pre-clearance.

At a minimum I would apply for and get global entry (see if your credit cards cover the fee)

The biggest issue which there is no way to be sure right now is how many intl flights will arrive the same time. Also, is there a later flight to DET just in case, if so I'd be a lot more comfortable.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Flight Transfer Tim

I have breezed through customs and other times have been dumbfounded by the congestion. As has been recommended book a slightly longer connection. it's better to be safe than sorry. If you are fortunate enough to breeze through customs see if American will allow you to go on the earlier flight for no additional charge.

Good luck with your travel plans.

Edited: 09 December 2017, 06:12
Reply to: Flight Transfer Tim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted