We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Oregon
Level Contributor
439 posts
88 reviews
How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Hubby and I are are in our mid-60s, and planning a trip to Philadelphia in mid-September. We are interested in history, art, and general culture. How many days would be recommended to take in all the sights? I was there, many decades ago, but this is his first trip there. The TripAdvisor list of things to do apparently is not functioning presently, so I can't look into that. Thanks for any recommendations.

7 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
863 reviews
1. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

This is subjective, obviously, but I'd say 4 days minimum but 6-7 days would be optimal. A lot depends on the pace of sightseeing you like. When I go to a city for the first time I like to spend at least a week so I can get a feel for not just the top ten attractions but the off the beaten path stuff as well as neighborhoods.

So figure 2 days for history, 2 days for art, and 1 day for other. These websites will help you with planning:

http://www.uwishunu.com/

http://www.visitphilly.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
863 reviews
2. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Just remembered too, that Philadelphia has a theatre festival that takes place around that time called the Fringe Festival which you might enjoy. This was their lineup this past year:

http://fringearts.com/2017-fringe-festival/

Oregon
Level Contributor
439 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Thank you for your replies and links to more info! I was thinking a week.should be good. We don't need to cram it all into just a few days. We are retired, with a very flexible schedule.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

If one or both of you is 65 or older, just show your Medicare card and ride free on Septa, subway, buses, subway-elevated line, and trolleys. Senior fare on regional rail commuter trains is only $1.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Center City is very compact and walkable. I suggest staying in the Rittenhouse Square area. There are excellent restaurants, you will be close to the Parkway for museums, and the historical area is a nice walk or one bus away.

Oregon
Level Contributor
439 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

Hey, that is wonderful! We are both over 65. There are benefits to getting older. :-)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia

I agree with the advice provided here, especially the Rittenhouse area recommendation. We stay there nearly every trip and just love it. (So much so that we are considering renting an apartment there for a period after we retire).

Even with 20 years of 2-3x visits a year, we could still spend a week happily, seeing new sites and revisiting old favorites. Philly has some hidden and unusual gems -the Mutter Museum, Secret Garden

, Eastern State Penn all come to mind. Of course there is the Art Museum, the new Museum of the American Revolution, the Barns and so on.

There are some very helpful posters on this forum, don’t be afraid to ask questions or for suggestions.

Reply to: How many days to thoroughly see the sights in Philadelphia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted