We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me out!

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me out!

Hi everybody,

I'm reading here on TA since January and now it's time for me to ask an important question, well actually two.

My best friend and me are flying in from Berlin, Germany and we're staying at the Hampton Inn on Race St for a whole week. We're pretty excited and I've read and seen a lot about Philly. I already feel like I've been there before. ;-)

2 weeks ago I found out that one of my favorite bands is going to play at a festival in Bethlehem, PA on a Sunday. It's in Illicks Mill to be exact and the festival is called Riverfusion and I still have no clue how to get there from downtown Philly even though I asked a lot of people already. I do know about Septa but I don't know about a station name in Illicks Mill, Bethlehem. Someone gave me an advice about Biebertours but they're quite expensive and they won't let us get back to Philly after the concert...So does anyone know about that place and can tell us how to get there by public transportation in any way?? We won't have a car. I'm lost if I can't get any help here...I'm afraid to not go there and see the guys. I hope you can help us out! A little help would be much appreciated!!

Oh and my second question is much easier: Can someone advice good bars near to the Hampton Inn? We're in our late 20ies and are looking for some bars in that range. Maybe some not so crowded ones who are offering some good cocktails.

Thanks in advance!!

Greetz from Berlin, Melli

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me out!

HI Melli~

I can't help you with the first question ~ but can for the 2nd...

Here are some choices located not too far from the Hampton Inn, have great spirits and very good crowds ( esp for 20- somethings).

For good cocktails ~

Continential Mid Town (19th & Chesnut) ~ Great roof top deck! Definitely check out

Noche ( right next to Contenential) ~ Crowd gets a bit younger after 1:00am, but still fun!

Loie (19th & Samson)~ Great DJ!!! www.loie215.com

Denim ( 17th & Walnut) ~ Something to try if you are looking for more of a lounge. Also offer bottle service. www.denimlounge.com

Mexican Post (16th & Cherry) ~ great Sangria & Margaritas.

For more "Pub" type places to grab a beer ~ try these~

Black Sheep (17th & Lattimer) ~www.theblacksheeppub.com

Great food & beer choices.

McGillin's (13th & Drury) ~ Always a great crowd. Definitely do not miss. Offers a very large menu that certainly appeals to everyone. www.mcgillins.com/

Irish Pub (20th & Walnut). Another fun place that has decent food & good times. www.irishpubphilly.com

Also fun places for some beers~

- Barrister's 18th & Samson

- Fado 15th & Locust

- Tir Na Nog ( for Happy Hour only) 16th & Arch

- Misconduct 15th & Locust

- Drinkers 19th & Chesnut

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me out!

Bethlehem, PA is about a 1.5 hour trip one way by Car. There is no public transportation to the site of this concert.

Your best bet would be to rent a car for 1 day to drive to the concert.

Here is a link to the website for directions to the concert.

www.illicksmill.org/fusiondirections.html

Lehigh Valley Airport is close to this location so you could take a regional flight from PHL to ABE airport via USAir.

lvia.org/flight_info/airlines_serving.html

And then taxi to the airport.

Greyhound Bus also has a terminal in Bethlehem

greyhound.com/scripts/…

If you choose not to drive you will probably need to stay overnight in the Lehigh Valley region as the bus and flights usually are limited at night.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me out!

@Heather: Thank you so much for all the bars and pubs you've listed. They all sound really good and I'll definitely check out as much as I can as we're going out every night.

@Kimba: Well, I'm on vacation so I really do not wanna drive a car and it also will cost some money that I can't afford really. Since we have a hotel in Philly yet, we can't stay overnight in Bethlehem. So it looks like we won't go. Now I'm really disappointed...s a last option I can just ask my friend from NJ if she'll be willing to come over and drive us to the concert. I just hope so!

Can I say that public transportation in PA is really bad? Here in Berlin they offer transportation at least till 1am and Fridays and Saturdays they run all through the night! That's what I call service! ;-)

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Melli

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me out!

No Problem, Melli!

If you are watching the $$$, McGillins is would probably be your best bet for some drinks and food... Have a wonderful time : )

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me out!

Agree, McGillin's is great for the budget - check out their website, they list various specials for the different nights of the week.

Also, Mexican Post is a great place for margaritas and reasonable as well - they run a good happy hour with 1/2 price margaritas and discounted appetizers.

Have fun in Philly!

Suzanne

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,767 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me out!

Bethlehem is about 60 miles (100 Km) from Philadelphia, and it is not very common for people to travel from one to the other, so there is no easy or frequent public transportation between them. Your best bet is to rent a car and drive.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me out!

Thank y'all so much!! You've been very helpful and we'll definitely check out McGillins. Do we need to reserve a table there on weekends or in general?

We really can't wait now to be in Philly and we'll definitely love it!

Thanks again!

Melli

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me out!

There are no reservations at McGillins... you should be OK anytime before 9:00...

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me out!

Perfect! I think we should be finished with sightseeing at that time. ;-)

Thanks!!

10. Re: Please help me out!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:19