We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotwire verses priceline?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
hotwire verses priceline?

Hi, I'm looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel for one night July 17. Can you advise me what would be the best way to go for the nicest room and maybe what they might be. I'll be going to a concert at the Mann center and then seeing some historic things in the daytime. Is it easy to get around? Are taxis easy to get after the concert at the Mann center? I'll be coming in on the train. Thanks so much for helping me out. Peggy

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotwire verses priceline?

You should really think about driving to the Mann. It's in the middle of one of the largest parks in the world, and very near some bad neighborhoods. Getting there by cab would not be a problem. Returning could be, though. It's not near anything good, or on the way to anything, so you can't hail a cab. You would either need to call, or hope that some cabbies figure to go there after a show. If it's raining, your chances of getting a cab to come out there are zero, even if you call for one. Also, calling for a cab in Philadelphia is a slow process and an act of faith. Waits of 1-2 hours or more, as well as no-shows are common. You don't want to be waiting around in that area for a cab.

I gotta tell ya, you really have to like Clay Aiken A WHOLE LOT to deal with the hassle.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
770 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotwire verses priceline?

The best deals that I have ever gotten have been when I used the "name your own price" feature on Priceline. Essentially, you just enter your destination, date of travel, and star level preference and then give them an offer of what you are willing to pay. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Penns Landing in Philadelphia, a four star hotel on the waterfront, for $52/night a few years ago using this feature. Just remember that you cannot cancel your reservation once they have accepted your offer and that your credit card gets billed immediately, even if you don't plan to travel right away. You can buy trip cancellation insurance for $5/night, but even with the insurance there are stipulations such as that you or a family member has to have a medical reason not to travel or there has to be a death in the immediate family, something like that, so read the small print if you opt for buying the insurance. Even with the insurance, you can't just decide not to go for any reason and get your money back. Also, remember that with Priceline they will not guarantee a room type, so if you absolutely have to have two beds, for example, you may end up getting one king bed instead and they will not change it once you have booked the room. If you are alone or a couple then this is probably not a big deal, but if you have kids it could be a real problem.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotwire verses priceline?

Sultana's answer to your question regarding Priceline/Hotwire options is very accurate. I looked up your night of stay on Hotwire and the prices for hotels in Philly that night aren't super cheap. You have some time as well, so I'd start with bidding on Priceline. The Hyatt at Penn's Landing is a frequent 4* winner on Priceline and that is listed at $279/night for 7/17. The other 4* option that comes up a lot on Priceline is the Westin and that is going for $309/night. I'd start the bidding around $85 for a 4* hotel in downtown Philly based on Expedia's prices and what you might realistically pay for those dates (for a 4* hotel in downtown Philly) and see what happens. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Suzanne

4. Re: hotwire verses priceline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:16