We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son to Philly game for birthday

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Son to Philly game for birthday

I am coming to Philly May 19,20 for a Philly game. My son will be turning 11 and it's for his birthday. We are trying to decide whether to take the Amtrak in from Richmond, VA or drive. Is it safe if we get to 30th station in Philly around 8pm on Saturday night for a mom and her son?? Also, where to stay?? We will have some time Sunday morning to sightsee, I think, before the 1:30 game maybe not?? It looks like from what I read, we should stay in Central Philly for sights?? Any info would be great on the Amtrak, safety, hotel, game times? Thanks!!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
324 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

30th st station is a little shady at night, but it's busy enough to grab a taxi from out front. You will need to be at the subway at 12:30 at the latest to be at the ballpark in enough time for the game, (15 minute subway ride, 15 minutes to casually walk into the stadium) so that should leave you with a few hours to take in a site or two. You should stick to a walk around indpendence mall, without going inside the buildings, see the liberty bell, etc.

The Italian Market Festival and Stotesbury Regatta is this weekend as well if you are looking for something different. I know that's what I have planned!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

If you decide to travel via Amtrak it is safe on a Sat night. Definitely stay in Center City Philly. Are you coming for one night or two? Hotels in Philly are running high for the Sat night 5/19. Doubletree Hotel on South Broad Street may be your best bet at $209/night from what I can see on Expedia. If you are staying the 2 nights, on Hotwire there is a 4* hotel in Center City East - it is either the Westin or the Sofitel - for $156/night. Decent price for either property. Let me know if you have further questions.

Suzanne

Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

We are just staying the night of the 19th. Thanks for the info. I'll check into the Doubletree. If I can get that, is the taxi the best way to get there? Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

Yes, I'd take a taxi from 30th Street - shouldn't run you more than $6.

Suzanne

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

I did a Priceline bid for 3 star downtown for $75 one night plus taxes and fees, another person got the same date for $66. Got the Marriott downtown, two blocks from the subway station to the park.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

A great price from Priceline for that Marriott - just remember with Priceline there are no guarantees for 2 double beds in a room.

Suzanne

Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

Still haven't booked somewhere to stay for me and my son... I have tried the Priceline 3 stars for $75 but didn't get it... Any other suggestions on how to bid or where to stay... I can stay at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia stadium for $162 but looking at the reviews it doesn't look like a place me and my son should stay. Still bargain shopping..

Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

Don't stay at the Holiday Inn at the stadium, it is a dump.

With Priceline for 5/19, rates are running high. That Marriott you are trying to get is listed on expedia at $339/night. I think you are going to have to bid in the $100-120 to get something in a 3* category or more.

Suzanne

Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. Also, what about the Sheraton University City Hotel? Someone told me I could get that thru Hotwire.

10. Re: Son to Philly game for birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 18:20