We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FI (Tut) is it worth it?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
FI (Tut) is it worth it?

When I first started planning our trip to Philly I planned on seeing the Tut exhibit and visiting the Franklin Institute. Upon reading reviews of the Tut exhibit I became nervous about wasting our money on something that most reviewers found to be not quite worth it. The price for the tut tickets is very expensive for my family (two teachers) and three young adults and I would be disappointed to waste that much money. We will be spending 4 1/2 days in the city and there is plenty for us to do without the tut exhibit. Is the exhibit worth it or not? If we decided not to do the tut exhibit, is the FI worth seeing on its own? The kids are ages 16, 19, 22 and we don't want the museum to be too juvenile for them. Any experiences or suggestions would be great. Thanks :)

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,763 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

Skip Tut. FI would be good if you get all of your other stuff in first.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

I think if you have a real interest in Egyptian art and artifacts it is worth it. If not there are many things to do in Philly for your stay (museums, historical sites, food places, etc.). If you want to see some Egyptian artifacts and avoid crowds, there is a great special exhibit on Armana Egyptian period and regular Egyptian exhibits at the UPENN Anthropology and Archeology museum. In fact there is no charge to visit this museum, only a 'suggested donation' so you are free to donate what you like to view it. You can get to UPENN easily by subway.

UPenn Armana exhibit info:

…upenn.edu/new/exhibits/amarna/index.shtml

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

One more thing, in my opinion the Franklin Institute is more appropriate for younger children ages 5-11. Older kids would be definitely bored with it. Also when we went it was crowded, hot and many of the interactive exhibits need renovations either were broken or nonfunctioning or out of order. If you are going to King Tut it is included in the price so you could look around 30 mins to 1 hr before going to Tut. This is what we did and this was enough for us.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

I second the recommendation to skip Tut and go to see the Amarna exhibit at the U Penn Museum. If you are interested in archeology, U Penn is the place to be -- the FI exhibit was underwhelming, in my opinion. I also agree that many of the FI exhibits would not be interesting to young adults.

On the other hand, the U Penn museum has an incredible collection dealing with many different cultures and eras, a great gift shop, and an excellent cafe.

Best of luck with your trip planning,

Jean

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

I second the recommendation to skip Tut and go to see the Amarna exhibit at the U Penn Museum. If you are interested in archeology, U Penn is the place to be -- the FI exhibit was underwhelming, in my opinion. I also agree that many of the FI exhibits would not be interesting to young adults.

On the other hand, the U Penn museum has an incredible collection dealing with many different cultures and eras, a great gift shop, and an excellent cafe.

Best of luck with your trip planning,

Jean

philadelphia
Level Contributor
119 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

I third the recommendation for the U of Penn museum - a great museum!

Morrisville,Pa
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

Abb,

I went to the Tut exhibit earlier in the year and I thought it was alright. I only had two main issues though. 1. King Tut isnt actually there. However, there are artifacts from the tomb he was in though such as model ships and toys, which were pretty neet. 2. Too crowded. I felt like I was walking over people the whole time. However, Im sure that if I had a day that was less crowded (not on a friday or saturday night) I would have enjoyed the exhibit much more.

To answer your other question. Im 26 and still love going to the Franklin Institute every time I get a chance. I think FI is always worth it. Not to mention the Imax theater there is cool too. I suggest giving it a go if you've never been.

Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

I agree completely with jeangs - head over to the University of Pennsylvania Museum. The Amarna Egyptian exhibit is awesome. Uof P is one of the premier archaeological universities in the world. While you're on that side of town, you can dine at Nan on Chestnut Street.

Fort Dodge, Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think that I am really leaning toward the U of Penn museum, as I am interested in ancient Egypt, but don't really want to spend the money to be disappointed by the Tut exhibit.

One question: My family of 5 is staying at the Sheraton Society Hill which is, from looking at the map, a distance from the university. What would be the best way to get there on a budget. With 5 people we really wouldn't want to have to take 2 taxis. The rest of our time in Philly we will be taking the Phlash to all of our destinations. Is getting off at a Phlash stop and then walking the rest of the way do-able? Thanks :)

Suburb of Philly
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: FI (Tut) is it worth it?

yes, yes, yes