We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

Louisiana
8 posts
Save Topic
best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

First, how's the area around my hotel? I had no idea where anything was when I was looking for a room. Got that one hoping my husband would cave in and take me to a Phillies game next weekend.

How easy and/or cheap is the public transportation? We're renting a car for the week to go to Lancaster and other places.

From what I've been reading, I don't think a week in Philly is going to be long enough! What are the absolute, don't miss places?

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

The Holiday Inn by the stadium is not in a bad area, but it is an area of South Philly where there is the Holiday Inn, the sports stadiums, and not much else. You will get a great view of the Philly skyline, but IMHO, you will probaby spend most of your week traveling to Center City/Historic District and wishing that you had just stayed there in the first place. I"m not trying to make you feel badly about your choice, I just want you to have the best possible time that you can while you're in Philly, and Center City and the Historic District are where the action and all of the tourist attractions are. If you can still change your itinerary to a hotel there, I think that you will be much happier.

If you do stay in Center City/Historic District instead, you can still make it to a Phillies game if you want to, because CB Park is just a short, inexpensive subway ride from Center City. You can drive there too, but the subway is much quicker, easier, and once you figure in the cost of parking, cheaper. It costs $1 each way per person. If you are traveling from the Holiday Inn/ballpark area, you get on at the Pattison St. station (located on a corner near CB Park and easy to spot or just ask someone for directions) and take it up to the City Hall station, reverse these directions if traveling from Center City to the ballpark. You can't miss the Pattison St. station by the ballpark, because it will be the last station on the line, so you can't go too far.

If you have never been to Philly before, a guided tour is a great way to get a narrated overview of the city. There is a double decker bus tour called Philadelphia Trolley Works that covers a huge loop including Penn's Landing, the Historic District, Center City, Ben Franklin Pkwy./museum district, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum, Fairmount Park, the Philly Zoo, Broad St., and Society Hill/Antiques Row. It has on/off privileges for a full 24 hrs. after you purchase your tickets, meaning that you can get off at any of the above areas and get back on again after enjoying the sights there. A bus will come along approx. every 20 min. at each of the designated stops. If you go down to the Independence Hall/Liberty Bell area, you can't miss the boarding areas where you can buy tickets. This sure beats trying to drive to the various tourist attractions around Center City and the Historic District, because driving in Center City is congested and slow-going on a good day. You will use a lot of gas and time just getting from attraction to attraction.

Another tour that I have heard is a lot of fun is the duck tour, where you ride in an amphibious vehicle that takes you around the Historic District, Penn's Landing, South St. and for a quick ride on the Delaware. It doesn't cover nearly as much of the city as the trolley tour, however, and you don't get on/off privileges that I am aware of.

If you plan on seeing the Liberty Bell, the key is to get there as early as possible in the morning. You have to go through a security checkpoint before you can get in to see the bell, which slows things down considerably, and I have been by there before in the afternoon and seen the line snaking out of the building and down the sidwalk for a couple of blocks--not the best way to spend a hot summer afternoon. The lines for Independence Hall can get pretty long too, although I am pretty sure that you pick up your tickets for a pre-arranged time at the Independence Visitors Center and then go get in line at Independence Hall at whatever time your ticket says.

The Reading Terminal Market is also a great place to visit while in Philly. You can get everything there: an authentic Philly cheesesteak, Amish produce and cheese, fresh herbs, or even a chocolate-covered onion. It is a great place for lunch. Here's a link:

www.readingterminalmarket.org

I hope this information is helpful and that you have a great time in Philly!!

Louisiana
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

I booked the room through Priceline so there's no changing it. The center city hotels were above our budget. Plus it has free parking.

Thanks for the help. Looks like the subway is cheaper than paying for parking.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

Tangerine,

There's nothing wrong with staying at the Holiday Inn by the stadiums. It is a bit off the beaten path, but sometimes that is not a bad thing. When we were in Boston a few months ago we couldn't afford to stay in Boston proper and booked a room 40 miles away. People on this forum told me that we were nuts and that we HAD to be in Boston and that we would be sorry. Know what we discovered? That we enjoyed riding the subway in each day and that it was nice, after a day of walking around in crowds and congestion, to be able to leave it all behind and go back to our relatively quiet hotel.

We stayed in CC a couple of weeks ago. While it's true that there's not a lot going on out by the stadiums when there isn't a game going on, it is only a few miles from Center City, and it seems pretty peaceful and quiet in comparison. The free parking is a huge plus too, believe me. We stayed at the Westin in CC, used their parking garage from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning, and when we checked out we owed $54 for parking! We enjoyed the Westin very much, but you definitely pay for the convenience. Also, you will be much closer to the airport at the Holiday Inn and it seems that you will have a much easier time getting on the road for your other day trips to Lancaster, etc. Driving in Center City is congested and very slow-going. Just to get from the Westin to the Philly Zoo, not a very far distance at all, took us over half an hour in Friday midday traffic.

We took the subway from CC to the ballpark, and it is definitely the way to go. It is also very easy to use and felt very safe.

I hope you have a great trip!!

4. Re: best way to get from Holiday Inn(stadium) to center city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 05:25