We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early a.m. traffic into city

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Early a.m. traffic into city

We're bringing our daughter to UArts next week. Staying in the city Thurs, Fri nights, but somewhere outside on Wed. She needs to be at the dorm early (7-10 am) on Thursday. How is the traffic getting into that area in the a.m.? Looks like we can stay either south or west. Any thoughts on which is better? Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

At that hour you shouldn't have any problem. You can tune your radio to1060 AM for updated traffic reports every 10 minutes.

Lynn

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,769 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

I don't what Lynn is thinking! 7-10 am is the rush hour. It depends where you will be staying, weather, accidents, and a bunch of other factors no one has control over. You could have completely smooth sailing, or it could be a nightmare. It's August, so you are hitting summer traffic (light due to vacations), so that helps. If you tell me where you are staying, I can give you a route and the best time to leave.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

I read the posting as meaning that the daughter has to arrive at the dorm by 7 am and would be there until 10 am. Owlyn, obviously read it as meaning she has to arrive anytime within those hours.

Which is it, please?

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

And please note, coming from Delaware County (where I live) there is definitely no 3 hour rush hour.

Lynn

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

I do live in Center City and commute to the suburbs everyday via 76. Just about every day, before 7:00 am that road is already backed up around Montgomery Drive.

Ejayb~ are you looking for a place to stay within the City or in the suburbs?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

If you need to be there by 7, there shouldn't be too much traffic. If it is anytime later (i.e., between 7 to 10), stay somewhere near a Septa Regional Rail line and take the train (the traffic is awful).

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

ejayb,

As you may have figured out from the various posts if you have to choose between driving into the City either by I-95 northbound or by I-76 eastbound then go with I-95. I-76 has far more delays.

Lynn

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

I'm going to assume you will be moving all her stuff into the dorms or an apartment there. If I am correct, your best bet is to get there EARLY, not only does Broad jam up after about 7:30 the dorm area at Uarts is BRUTAL after 8 trying to find a place to put the car. (I used to work across the street from UA).

If you do NOT have gear to move, find a place to park near the stadiums (dead in the AM) and grab the subway in, nice easy ride and the station is right there.

tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

Thank you all. To clarify, we have not yet made reservations for Wed. night. She has a time frame to move into the dorm (yes, with all her stuff) between 7-10. I'm assuming they stagger them to avoid everyone being there at once. We're driving from Tennessee on Wednesday and would like to stay somewhere close, and I just wondered if traffic into the area is better from a specific highway. I guess we'll just get up really early!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early a.m. traffic into city

Unfortunately, where you are going, nope, not so much of a difference. The closest hotel I can think of is the Doubletree on Broad street, its walking distance from U of A.