We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

From Sept 23-28, a large number of CC restaurants will be offering fixed price meals at $30 per person (bev, tax, gratuity not included). Each meal must be at least 3 courses (I have had up to 6!). I'll be at the melting pot, guaranteed for at least one meal.

It's a great time to check out a new restaurant, or splurge if you are on a budget!

For details: www.centercityphila.org/restaurantweek/

One caveat, this is a FIXED menu, there are generally no substitutions.

As an example, this is from Upstairs at Varalli's, a place I have enjoyed often:

First Course

(choice of one)

House Salad

Boston bibb, frisee, radicchio, baby greens and assorted julienne vegetables with a shallot and herb vinaigrette

Stuffed Mushrooms

With hot Italian sausage, boursin cheese and a sweet and sour fig sauce

Soup of the Day

Minestra del Giorno

Rock Shrimp and Bay Scallop Cerviche

With extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and cilantro

Second Course

(choice of one)

Veal Marsala

Grilled medallions of veal finished with sauce of wild mushrooms, Marsala and demi-glace, garnished appropriately

Tarragon Chicken

Served with a wild rice pilaf and natural jus

Linguini Primavera

Pasta tossed with assorted vegetables in a parmesan cream sauce

Fish of the Day

Chef’s selection

Lobster Ravioli

Saffron pasta filled with lobster and mascarpone cheese, served in a mushroom, tomato, herbed cream sauce

Third Course

(Choice of one)

Tiramisu

A delicate blend of mascarpone cheese, whipped cream and espresso soaked cake dusted with cocoa

Bread Pudding

With chocolate, cranberries and hazelnuts served warm with a bourbon cream

No Substitutions.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

This year we are only doing the RC ~ we never have much luck with Restaurant Week. We always end up ordering off of the regular menu.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

We're thinking of hitting the melting pot (which we always love) and Try Tir Na Og (which we've never been to)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

I have reservations for the Ritz Carlton (The Grill) that Friday night of Restaurant Week. I had lunch there in the spring with a friend and it was excellent. It think the Grill may be one of those underrated fine dining establishments in Philly. We actually had a very good experience last year during Restaurant Week at Alma de Cuba.

Suzanne

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

Suzanne~ That's exactly why we are doing the RC too!

Loonbeam ~ IMHO, I would save TNN for a regular night. It is more of a after work bar and has a reasonably priced menu to begin with ( food is pretty decent though).

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
324 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

I agree with heather on Tir Na Nog. A good deal of restaurant choices on the list don't have large savings compared to the regular priced menu. I try and check the prices online for a decent saving.

I've heard that some restaurants try and rush you during restaurant week, either from the crowd, or for not getting enough money out of you. Has anyone had that experience?

I went to the city tavern last year for restaurant week. Had the BEST crab chowder I've had, the rest of the meal was mediocre, and since I'm a local, wasn't really excited about the 18th century theme.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

I went to Valanni for restaurant week last year, which was a great choice - I love their food, and yet I never seem to make it over there. I didn't feel rushed, though Valanni was such a popular choice that we had to go on a weeknight.

I agree that Tir Na Nog would not give you a good value for the prix fixe.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

EDG ~ We have the same Restaurant Week concept!

We have never been rushed out of a meal, although my Husband almost always ends up ordering off of the real menu.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

I agree as well - I'd skip Tir a Nog and go to one of these places, if you can get a reservation, I think they would offer a better bang for your buck:

The Grill at the Ritz Carlton

Brasserie Perrier

Alma de Cuba

Amada

Bliss

Davio's

La Famiglia

Le Bar Lynnonais

Nineteen

Susanna Foo

Tangerine

Estia

Those would be my choices!

Suzanne

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

Suzanne ~ Have you ever done The Prime Rib for RW?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reminder: Center City Restaurant Week is Coming

Hi Heather --

No, I have never been there, either for RW or regularly. Actually have not heard that much about it. I am not a big beef fan or a steakhouse lover and although my husband loves a good steak, out of all the steakhouses, he favors Capital Grille the most. I don't know if he has been to The Prime Rib for dinner (via business), although I am guessing I would recall if he had mentioned it.

Suzanne

Get answers to your questions about Philadelphia