We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Parking Garages

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Public Parking Garages

Hello. I'm planning a visit to Philadelphia in a few months. The hotel where we are staying has you park a block away in a public parking garage. Can anyone tell me if they are relatively safe? It's in the Historic District. I was really looking forward to our trip, until I started hearing about the crime rate.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Parking Garages

The historic area is safe in general but, like any city, it's good to be aware of your surroundings, especially at late night. Public parking lots in that area should be fine.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Parking Garages

Tony's right. The historic district is a pretty safe area. I believe that Philadelphia in general is a pretty saft area. As with any big city, you should be aware of your surroundings, especially at night, but I don't think that it's a particularly dangerous city. Personally, I have no fear walking around touristy or popular areas--Old City, South Street, Center City, Manayunk (these are just a few examples)--at night.

I'm curious as to where you've been hearing about the crime rate. There has been mention of crime on the board lately, but the poster that has been repeatedly mentioning crime has posted statistics that don't seem right to me.

(I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone, but saying a statistic is from UPenn is not a citation. Saying a statistic came from a specific study titled "X" and published in " X" journal and in "X" year is citing a source. Again, I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything, but random statistics are often misunderstood, misremembered, or misquoted.)

If you've heard of crime problems, of what sort are they?

I don't mean to suggest that Philly doesn't have crime; it does. But I don't find the public parking garages to be unsafe. I would use them day or night by myself (I'm a woman in her late 20s) without fear.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Parking Garages

nc213, ring-ring, thats the alarm bell rining for you to wake up and smell the coffee. There have been a lot of crime lately in phila if you didnt now, heres the link:

CITY IN CRISIS

kyw.com/news/local_story_074120610.html

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Parking Garages

Thanks everyone. One website that talked about the crime rate was Yahoo travel. Some people said Philly had a lot of litter on the streets, as well as being unsafe. I also read an article on shootings, I think it was in the Philadelphia weekly. It never entered my mind that a tourist section of a large city would be unsafe until I started browsing around in some of the travel sites. Anyway, we just plan on touring Independence Park, Reading Terminal, seeing the Lights of Liberty show and things like that. I assumed it would be safe to walk around during the day and early evening.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Parking Garages

There is a organization funded by the downtown businesses called the Center City District. (The first of a few in the city.)You will see various people walking around in their caps and teal jackets. Some of them will be sweeping up refuse manually or with a machine. Others called ambassadors are people you can ask for directions and such. The ambassadors also keep an eye out for patrons and can contact police if necessary. Speaking of which, if there's any part of the city that police pay the most attention to, it's Center City as it encourages tourists to visit and the empty-nesters and well-to-do to relocate downtown.

Every city has its challenges. Philly's have been well-documented recently but those unfortunate incidents have happened largely in neighborhoods outside Center City. For tourist and nightlife purposes, I believe downtown is safe. Would I go skipping through the streets at 4am waving my wallet in the air? NO! LOL But I wouldn't do that in any city, whether Philly, Louisville, DC, New York.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Parking Garages

wanderlo, u are now alert to the problem so you know to stick to the right areas and stay safe - you should be fine. Its the people who just believe the pictures in the tourist brochuer that are a danger to themselves.