We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Hello all,

We will be arriving via the R1 from the airport probably around 10pm and are stop is suburban for the Radisson Warwick. Is this stop safe at night? I have read reports that it rather poorly lite and underground and may not be safe (especially for wheeling two suitcases through). Any thoughts?

Second, i have read mixed reviews about POD, both here and at other culinary sites. Unfortunately some of the reviews are rather dated. I'm tempted to try it just because it is such a unique place.

Also, we were going to try and hit the Continental Midtown, which is like 5 blocks from the Warwick, the night we get in. Seems like an interesting place. Any recent reviews on what's good here? Should we skip it and just hit the original in olde town later in our trip?

And finally, anyone been to the Haunted House at the Eastern Penitentiary? It will still be going on and will have free admission to the Pen tour when you buy a Haunted house ticket. Was thinking of really surprising the wife with this one!

Thanks for any help.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

It's well lit and generally safe, just desolate at night. I would rather se you take a cab from the airport to the hotel ($26.25) rather than the train ($14.00) and then have to make your way to the hotel Too difficult, especially at night in a strange city rolling luggage along. If anyone is out looking for a target of opportunity, you would be it.

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Thanks for the info Owlyn.

We were kind of leaning the cab way as well. Hopefully we will get in a little quicker than the train allowing us to easily make dinner. I have read several of the threads here about restaurants but haven't seen much on POD or the midtown Continental. Anyone got any thoughts?

And i just finished reading the website for the Penitentiary house. What a great idea, a HH in an actual prison.

Finally, to give back in some small way, I'm sure all of you know about Yahoo travel planner, which you get with any free yahoo account. Just go to the travel tab once you have logged in. But just in case, it is an awesome tool for planning. Once i get all my info from tripadvisor on all the best places, I open Yahoo travel planner and enter all the sites i want to visit in philly. It has the most popular attractions, restaurants and sites in a menu so you can just check them off and add them really fast. It then has a "map view" that lets you see all your sites on the map and makes it incredibly easy to visualize their relationship and make really efficient plans. The real kick though is that you can type in your own unique sites, like the lobby of the Curtis Center with the Tiffany mural, and it will also map that for you along with all the other sites you selected. The map view lets you make your own customized mini map of an area with just your sites. It's awesome! If you haven't tried it i would highly recommend it. OT I know but i'm getting really excited about this trip...and I'm from Dallas.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Haven't been to POD, but I know that Continental Midtown is a jumping place. The food is very good, and the atmosphere is fun. Don't forget to check out the roof deck, even if it's cold outside. BTW, a cab is faster than the train, not even counting travel time from the train station to the hotel.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

The Continental Roof Deck does have outdoor heaters, so there shouldn't be a problem with it being too cold. In addition, the indoor part is usually warm and cozy.

ML ~ you will have a great time at the Mid-Town spot - don't change it to the Old City location. This spot is definitely better.

Are you stuck on going to Pod? There are some really great places near your hotel.

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Thanks for the reply guys.

We'll stick with the continental midtown.

We are not set on POD, it just looked kinda cool from the website. Tangerine also looked interesting. Striped bass is a little pricey for us, even though its closer to our hotel. Any other recommendations are more than welcome.

BTW, here is Yahoo planner itinerary. Feel free to have a look and see what you think. I think it's doable but we may be overly ambitious.

http://travel.yahoo.com/trip-view-1387347-philly;_ylt=AqfXocBINNahm.fuJyjWZbSfItAF

Again, any constructive comments welcome.

M

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

BTW, if you check out my Yahoo schedule above be sure to click on the map view button to see how it lays everything out for you. Also, click on the "Printable version" button to see how nicely it creates your own mini guide book.

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Better link

travel.yahoo.com/trip-view-1387347-philly

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

I really like Tangerine. Like Buddakan, sharing is encouraged. Dishes are brought to the table as they are ready , beautifully plated, and everyone gets to sample if you like.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

I took a look at your itinerary, and it looks very reasonable. On Thursday, I suggest that as you walk from the historic area to Jim's for lunch, be sure to take a few minutes to wander through Society Hill. You might walk south on 4th St, turn left on Delancey, strolling this old cobblestoned street to 2nd. St, following 2nd through Headhouse Square to South St. For some specifics on the area look at the walking tour of Society Hill (as well as other neighborhoods) on www.ushistory. org.

NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety at suburban stop at night POD, for this weekend.

Tom,

thanks for that tip. Jim's is a little out of way south there so that will be a great way to incorporate it into our day. Thanks again.

M