We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

New York (Greenwich...
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

My wife and I will be at the downtown Marriott (Market and 11th St.) next week for a professional meeting that I will be attending. I would appreciate suggestions for restaurants within a few blocks walking distance. Based on reviews on Philadephia diningguide.com I see "Vietnam" and "Sang Kee Peking Duck" but few restaurants on that site actually have reviews.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

There are some great restaurants within a few blocks. What is your food preference & price range?

New York (Greenwich...
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

Thanks Heather. How about moderate to between moderate and expensive. Wide range of food types, except spicy foods.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

Had to make the spicy exception, huh?? There are three wonderful places very close by, but they are all Mexican.

El Vez

Mexican Post

Lolita ( BYOT ~ Bring your own Tequila)

Some other great places within walking distance are:

McCormick & Schmick's ( It's a chain, but they have very good seafood)

McGillin's ( Oldest pub in Philadelphia, wide arrange of food)

Sotto Varalli/ Upstairs at Varalli ( Italian, very nice atmosphere)

Capital Grille ( Steakhouse, one of the best in the city)

Tir Na Nog ( Irish Pub, decent food)

There are also some standard chains around the hotel: Chili's, Melting Pot, Hard Rock, Ruby Tuesdays & Maggiano's.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

To stretch your "few blocks" a bit, I highly recommend Fork, about 8 blocks away, but worth the extra steps. It's at 306 Market St in Old City. www.forkrestaurant.com

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

You'll be less than a block from the Reading Terminal Market. See readingterminalmarket.org for more info.

Vietnam Restaurant is excellent.

Sang Kee is very good, though I haven't been there in a few years.

I have to second Tom's recommendation of Fork.

Lynn

New York (Greenwich...
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

Thanks folks - I think that I now have enough ideas for what will be just 4 dinners in the neighborhood. When we stayed at this hotel previously, we actually did stroll through the Reading Terminal Market (on the way to the PA Academy of Fine Arts) as well as through the Gallery but both of these seem to have places that serve breakfast and lunch but close down for dinner. The Gallery is good for cold weather walking on the way to the historic sites. We always re-visit these sites in Philly and I still get a patriotic tingle when I see them but I am disturbed over the security hoops that you have to go through for the past few years. I understand the need for this but I still find it depressing that we now need to do it.

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
712 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

I just returned from Philly. I ate at the Reading Terminal Market. The food was so-so, but then I was approached by a hungry gentleman that wanted to finish off my food. I wanted to try Maggiano's but they get a crowd quite early.

8. Re: Downtown Restaurant Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 03:15